Vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
Would a yearling EBT be fine on its own for 4 days while on vacation? The uv is on a timer and the CHE on a thermostat, water dish would be shallower than normal, and I'd plan on feeding on the Thursday that we'd leave. What do i do for feedings? I was thinking of an automatic fish feeder filled with freeze dried mealworms for Saturday, and i'd be home on Sunday night. Any suggestions/thoughts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes he should be fine. Leave an over abundance of what ever kind of food you feed and will stay fresh the longest.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Is the house/apartment still being heated? If so, I would turn off the CHE while you are gone.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
he could go four days without food easily.Or you could dump some mealworms in there so he could hunt.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
dannel said:
We'd be going in the summer, so no; and the CHE would be on a thermostat.

Then there is no need for the CHE during your vacation.

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
yagyujubei said:
he could go four days without food easily.Or you could dump some mealworms in there so he could hunt.

Thats what i thought, but wont they die before he hunts em?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Meal worms would most likely dig into the substrate.

But anyway, I've yet to see a herp that can't go 4 days without food. If you leave all the lights and heat sources off they go into sort of a state of hibernation.

I had a bearded dragon loose in my house all winter once. When the weather got warmer, I found it sitting in the middle of the living room floor. It lived for 3 months in a cold house without any food or water and looked no worse for the wear.

Even if the house isn't cold I highly doubt 4 days without food will cause any harm. I would leave it dark so it stays inactive during that time. I read something about his once before I took a week long trip to Florida. About how reptiles can shut down in certain situations. I turned off all the lights to the herps and they were perfectly fine when I got back.

If you think about it, mother nature doesn't always give reptiles the perfect conditions. There could be a week long period of cold without any sunshine and they know how to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.