tinothetort

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Hello! I have a question on mealworms. I normally get mine live from a reptile shop that's a little ways away for my leopard gecko. I was running low on my current supply while on vacation so the person watching him got a cup of live worms from PetSmart in case the other worms ran out. When I came home and opened the PetSmart worms, I found the majority of them were dead (dark brown/black). It's a 500 count and they had been in the fridge for a few days. I'm going to toss out the dead ones, but is it okay to feed the still live worms from that cup, or should I freeze and toss them?

Also if anyone uses any online shops that ship feeder insects, I'd love to hear recommendations! Thank you!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If it was me, I would not use any of them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I have a question on mealworms. I normally get mine live from a reptile shop that's a little ways away for my leopard gecko. I was running low on my current supply while on vacation so the person watching him got a cup of live worms from PetSmart in case the other worms ran out. When I came home and opened the PetSmart worms, I found the majority of them were dead (dark brown/black). It's a 500 count and they had been in the fridge for a few days. I'm going to toss out the dead ones, but is it okay to feed the still live worms from that cup, or should I freeze and toss them?

Also if anyone uses any online shops that ship feeder insects, I'd love to hear recommendations! Thank you!
Mealworms are not a good food source anyway. Use roaches, or crickets of you can't get roaches.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always ask the clerk to open the container to check the inhabitants when buying live food from a pet store

Look online for where to buy black soldier fly larva. This is an easy to feed, healthful food item

Also, take a look at the food items for sale at joshsfrogs.com

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I always ask the clerk to open the container to check the inhabitants when buying live food from a pet store

Look online for where to buy black soldier fly larva. This is an easy to feed, healthful food item

Also, take a look at the food items for sale at joshsfrogs.com
JOSH'S FROGS are great

Reactions: Tom

tinothetort

AZ
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to play it on the safe side and freeze the cup of worms and throw it out later. I usually give him a variety of different feeders and I normally check the cups, too, but I don't think they checked before buying 😆 the PetSmart by my house is all out of feeders for the next few weeks, so it's back to my usual reptile place while I browse online! For now please enjoy some photos of Auggie, my little two-tailed rescue gecko!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220615-234814-058.png
    Screenshot_20220615-234814-058.png
    383.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220615-234646-540.png
    Screenshot_20220615-234646-540.png
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 2