Vertical Climb?

mandacs08

So I work at a resort, and we have two Sulcata tortoises. They're fairly large, as most 20(ish) year old tortoises are. We are looking to move them into a new, and better enclosure to where they have ample space and different natural enrichment to live in. However, on one side of the enclosure is a small (less than one foot) wall that has a deep pond on the other side. We've planned to put another fence or sort on top of it, but I was curious to know if there's any sort of rough estimate to the vertical climb of a tortoise is? Like how high is too high for them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The bigger they are, the less able they are to climb, however, if the tortoise can stand on his back legs and hook his front feet over the top of the fence, he can probably climb it. And they sometimes stand on the other tortoise's back to reach the top.

Welcome to the Forum, Manda! I'd love to see pictures of the tortoises and both enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 80 pound sulcatas are contained by a 16" high wall. A total of 24" should contain even a big one.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I use a 24" tall wall for mine and he doesn't even try to climb it. It's a solid block wall so he can't see what's on the other side. I imagine that if he could see through it he'd try to find a way out.