very poorly tortoise - help needed near Cambridge/St Neots

buddysmate

5 Year Member
Hi, I am hoping for a bit of help with my little Tortoise Buddy.
He is very ill and hasn't been eating for a few weeks. He has hardly any energy and I even thought he had died a few days ago as he was completely limp and not responding at all. I visited the vet and he has given me Emeraid Herbivore - Critical care nutrition which i mix with water to be dispensed in a syringe.
Unfortunately I cannot get Buddy to open his mouth to accept the syringe.
He has a bit of an eye infection too which the vet has given me eye drops for so I am hoping they will help with his appetite if that clears up.
Info on buddy - he is a Western Hermanns tortoise and is roughly 1 and a half years old and measures about 5cm in length.
I am very worried about Buddy so if there is anyone near St Neots in Cambridgeshire who could help Buddy feed it would be much appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Go back to the vet and have him teach you how to open the tortoise's mouth and squirt the food in. Unless you can get some nutrition into him ASAP, he's going to die.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry this is happening to you and your Buddy. I can't help you except to let you know I am wishing the best for you two. I would listen to Yvonne and have the vet show you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Shnarf

5 Year Member
Hi stupid question but are you in Cambridgeshire st Neots in England?

If so I'm near huntingdon, I went to hardwick to the Cambridge reptile centre above pet paks and the man there Gary was very knowledgable and there is a vet service there I'd call first but I think you can just take your tortoise along there?! But I'm not 100%

Here is the link and details
http://www.cambridgereptiles.co.uk/home

CAMBRIDGE REPTILES AND EXOTICS
175 St. Neots Road
Hardwick
Cambridgeshire
CB23 7QJ
OPENING HOURS:
Tues to Sat - 10.30am till 5pm
Sunday - 12pm till 3pm
Monday - Closed
T: 01954 212187
E: [email protected]
FB: Cambridge Reptiles

I hope he's ok
Hannah

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If you are still trying to feed him his critical care food, try and get to the back of his neck without him seeing you. Grab hold of it tightly so he doesn't jerk his neck back in his shell. He'll open his mouth very easily in that position. Inject the food. Don't worry, he'll be fine and won't choke.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I went and read your other posts....in them you indicated you would have acquired him sometime near March or so? You also say he has been healthy, eating and overall well, correct?

Was his lack of desire for food the main reason you took him to the vet? I mean you also mention later that you though he was dead...did that mean you noticed him sleeping and picked him up and he was not active?...

I am asking because this is a species that will brumate in winter months...which involves the tort not being interested in food for a couple to few weeks before they go into their brumation...and lack of activity during this time begins as well....then the tort will become sedentary --this can last for weeks....

So, while I am absolutely not saying that there is nothing wrong with your tort...I would simply ask you to re evaluate the behavior of the tort with a different mind set....I am only asking because if this is the situation then the forced handling may be detrimental vs helpful...

What is the enclosure like? Is the enclosure been re set for winter months (cool weather)...I believe the weather there now is wet and cool right???

buddysmate

5 Year Member
Thankyou for the advice all so here are the answers to your questions. hopefully this is more info for you to help me more.
HANNAH, I did originally try Gary in Hardwick last week as he was recommended by various people online but he is on holiday until next week so I took buddy to Scotts veterinary clinic in Bedford which was the next best option so thanks for the advice.

SIBI - I gave your technique a go but he is so small and my fingers are not the daintiest so I didn't have much luck, my wife has been working away but is back soon so her piano players fingers may have more luck! You will be pleased to hear that I did manage to get the syringe in his mouth a few times just now when he was yawning. I didn't inject the food immediately though just in case he was still breathing in!

ASCOTT - Up until a few weeks ago he was very active and greedy, his behaviour did change with the weather but he did develop an eye infection at that time which still persists and I am using eyedrops now. So it may be the brumation period you mentioned or the infection making him feel down?
As he is so small and young should I try my hardest not to let him brumate? I have bought a more accurate thermometer and have double checked the temperatures in his viv are at the recommended levels.
When I thought he may be dead was after I was trying to feed him, he was active one minute and unresponsive the next even with lots of prodding. Luckily he finally woke after a lot of worry on my part.
I am a beginner at tortoise keeping so I may be worrying too much and a experienced owner would identify the behaviour more easily. Lets hope it me worrying uneccessarily!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not brumate a tort with uncertain health nor a tortoise in your care for less than a year....

Did thee vet even consider his species and the time of year? When you say he is having eye issue do you mean watering eye or sealed closed swollen eye? May we please see a pic of his face? And of him from the front showing his head neck and front legs? And a side shot of his shell from front to back? :D

Shnarf

5 Year Member
Poor buddy I hope he is ok. Glad my advice was partly helpful and good to bare in mine for another time. Or when he returns.
What is brumate please?