Vet care

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello, my tortoise is just shy of 3 years old and up till about the last month his care has come from someone else. I thought it might be a good idea to bring him into the Vet because I know he has never had an appointment before. I only found one vet office buy me that specializes in Exotic Animal Care. I was just curious from Members past experiences what kind of things I should look for from my vet, any questions I should ask, and any advice that they give me that maybe I should avoid. I did tell them I want to do a fecal exam. Any advice or experiences you have had with vets that you think would be useful would be greatly appreciated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello, my tortoise is just shy of 3 years old and up till about the last month his care has come from someone else. I thought it might be a good idea to bring him into the Vet because I know he has never had an appointment before. I only found one vet office buy me that specializes in Exotic Animal Care. I was just curious from Members past experiences what kind of things I should look for from my vet, any questions I should ask, and any advice that they give me that maybe I should avoid. I did tell them I want to do a fecal exam. Any advice or experiences you have had with vets that you think would be useful would be greatly appreciated.
If your tortoise is bright eyed, active, eating and gaining weight then I would save my money.

I managed over 30 years before the first vet visit became necessary... and that was for Joe to be microchipped!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
If your tortoise is bright eyed, active, eating and gaining weight then I would save my money.

I managed over 30 years before the first vet visit became necessary... and that was for Joe to be microchipped!
That is some great advice, and greatly appreciated. He eats great, his activity level is pretty good, his poop looks normal from the best I can tell LOL. The only things I have noticed is some days his eyes do look a little puffy, and if I put his head close to my ear when he breathes sometimes I can hear a little bit of a pop. Not the normal hiss they do when they pull their head into their shell. I didn't know if this could possibly be there early signs of an RI. He has done it since I got him back a month ago. He hasn't had a runny nose but I didn't know if I should bring him in just to be safe.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
That is some great advice, and greatly appreciated. He eats great, his activity level is pretty good, his poop looks normal from the best I can tell LOL. The only things I have noticed is some days his eyes do look a little puffy, and if I put his head close to my ear when he breathes sometimes I can hear a little bit of a pop. Not the normal hiss they do when they pull their head into their shell. I didn't know if this could possibly be there early signs of an RI. He has done it since I got him back a month ago. He hasn't had a runny nose but I didn't know if I should bring him in just to be safe.
I forgot to mention in the last month he has gained two and a half ounces. I don't know if that is decent weight gain or not

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Can we see photos of the eyes please?

What type of bulb are you using for UVB? The compact bulbs that look like household low energy bulbs frequently cause eye problems in tortoises.

The noise when breathing is of more concern. What temperatures do you have warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum?

What substrate do you have and what is the humidity?

Photos of your enclosure and lighting might give us clues.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Can we see photos of the eyes please?

What type of bulb are you using for UVB? The compact bulbs that look like household low energy bulbs frequently cause eye problems in tortoises.

The noise when breathing is of more concern. What temperatures do you have warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum?

What substrate do you have and what is the humidity?

Photos of your enclosure and lighting might give us clues.
When I built this enclosure it was before I knew of this forum. Unfortunately I built a tortoise table which I know now is not ideal as it is not holding in the humidity and also not capable of giving the Ambient Air Temperature that he needs. That being said is enclosure is a 5 foot by 3 foot. His substrate is reptile bark. I mist it down twice a day, and I mist his shell twice a day. I use mercury vapor bulbs and I have two of them 1 is 95 degrees under it, the other is 100 to 105. The Ambient Air Temperature whatever my home is at. It is approaching winter here in Michigan so with the heat on I have been keeping it around 72. I also run a che at night(85) under it.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
When I built this enclosure it was before I knew of this forum. Unfortunately I built a tortoise table which I know now is not ideal as it is not holding in the humidity and also not capable of giving the Ambient Air Temperature that he needs. That being said is enclosure is a 5 foot by 3 foot. His substrate is reptile bark. I mist it down twice a day, and I mist his shell twice a day. I use mercury vapor bulbs and I have two of them 1 is 95 degrees under it, the other is 100 to 105. The Ambient Air Temperature whatever my home is at. It is approaching winter here in Michigan so with the heat on I have been keeping it around 72. I also run a che at night(85) under it.

20171029_200842.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your enclosure looks very dry and you cannot possibly control temperatures or humidity in an open enclosure like that. It is likely not warm enough for your young Sulcata.

It looks like you do indeed have a compact UVB that causes eye problems.

I recommend that you read and act on these care guides by @Tom, a species expert working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too. Hopefully @Tom will step in and help out as I am in the UK and it is nearly bed time!

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those that have a young Sulcata
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please read these and ask questions, but the bottom line is that you need to sort out temp and humidity fast.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Your enclosure looks very dry and you cannot possibly control temperatures or humidity in an open enclosure like that. It is likely not warm enough for your young Sulcata.

It looks like you do indeed have a compact UVB that causes eye problems.

I recommend that you read and act on these care guides by @Tom, a species expert working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too. Hopefully @Tom will step in and help out as I am in the UK and it is nearly bed time!

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those that have a young Sulcata
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please read these and ask questions, but the bottom line is that you need to sort out temp and humidity fast.
I appreciate and I respect your criticism and advise. But now they are not the compact fluorescent bulbs. I will take a picture and show you. I am using two mercury vapor bulbs 120 Watt. I believe they are the reptisun version. As far as the enclosure I could not agree with you more, as I stated I went in thinking I knew more than I did from other reptiles I have owned in the past and I did not know about the humidity or close Chambers until I found this wonderful forum, and the wonderful people on it that take their time to answer questions. I have a bonus coming in a few weeks and I fully intend to build him a very large closed chamber and definitely get the humidity up and definitely get the Ambient Air Temperature up to 80. It is definitely a work in progress. And not something I'm going to put off. I went by a lot of old outdated data. Thank you again for your time and your advice really was appreciated. Will attach pictures of the bulbs here shortly.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I appreciate and I respect your criticism and advise. But now they are not the compact fluorescent bulbs. I will take a picture and show you. I am using two mercury vapor bulbs 120 Watt. I believe they are the reptisun version.
I believe you :)

[quite]
As far as the enclosure I could not agree with you more, as I stated I went in thinking I knew more than I did from other reptiles I have owned in the past and I did not know about the humidity or close Chambers until I found this wonderful forum, and the wonderful people on it that take their time to answer questions. I have a bonus coming in a few weeks and I fully intend to build him a very large closed chamber and definitely get the humidity up and definitely get the Ambient Air Temperature up to 80. It is definitely a work in progress. And not something I'm going to put off. I went by a lot of old outdated data. Thank you again for your time and your advice really was appreciated. Will attach pictures of the bulbs here shortly.[/QUOTE]
No problem. It’s impossible to keep tabs on all the discussions on this forum and I admit to missing, or forgetting, who is doing what.

The temperatures are really important for prevention of Respiratory Infection. The important thing is to sort out the cause as quickly as possible

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I appreciate and I respect your criticism and advise. But now they are not the compact fluorescent bulbs. I will take a picture and show you. I am using two mercury vapor bulbs 120 Watt. I believe they are the reptisun version. As far as the enclosure I could not agree with you more, as I stated I went in thinking I knew more than I did from other reptiles I have owned in the past and I did not know about the humidity or close Chambers until I found this wonderful forum, and the wonderful people on it that take their time to answer questions. I have a bonus coming in a few weeks and I fully intend to build him a very large closed chamber and definitely get the humidity up and definitely get the Ambient Air Temperature up to 80. It is definitely a work in progress. And not something I'm going to put off. I went by a lot of old outdated data. Thank you again for your time and your advice really was appreciated. Will attach pictures of the bulbs here shortly.

Bulb 120171120_171451.jpg20171120_171447.jpg

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I really truly appreciate and respect all advice and criticism from all the experts on this forum. My closed chamber should be started soon I look forward to sharing pictures and get advice on it. Going off bad info I got on the internet there were a couple nights before I kick my heat on I let the house get down to 65 and did not turn the electric heating element on. Also his previous owner I found out never clean the enclosure in 2 years and only fed it spring mix for 2 years straight. I've heard that little pop off and on for the month I've had him does it usually take long for the bad symptoms of an ri to show up? I wondered if he may have gotten sum wet mazuri up his nose, he is a mess after that.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If you can find one big enough, you might be able to enclose your table by putting a plastic greenhouse over the top of it, with the lights inside. Something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zimtown-...house-Shack-Hot-House-Outdoor-Patio/618547596

Jay Bagley

Michigan
If you can find one big enough, you might be able to enclose your table by putting a plastic greenhouse over the top of it, with the lights inside. Something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zimtown-...house-Shack-Hot-House-Outdoor-Patio/618547596
That looks like a really cool and inexpensive alternative. Thank you for showing me that, one way or the other I definitely need to do something. I hate seeing him huddle underneath is mercury vapor bulb. Roam around for a while and then back to the bulb. The pictures I put on there of his eyes, do they look bright like you guys often described? They're not too puffy today, he seems to be doing much better now that I've been running the heat emitter at night time. I am so hoping it is not an r i.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
That looks like a really cool and inexpensive alternative. Thank you for showing me that, one way or the other I definitely need to do something. I hate seeing him huddle underneath is mercury vapor bulb. Roam around for a while and then back to the bulb. The pictures I put on there of his eyes, do they look bright like you guys often described? They're not too puffy today, he seems to be doing much better now that I've been running the heat emitter at night time. I am so hoping it is not an r i.
You're welcome. I think he looks good. Charlie has never been to a vet. It's very hard to find a vet that knows more than we do about tortoise care. Sometimes they feel they have to do something to earn their fee, and may give your tortoise unnecessary shots that could actually create a problem where there wasn't one.

A click or pop when he is breathing could be the beginning of a respiratory infection. Often these will clear up without antibiotics if your tortoise is kept extra warm. Your ambient temperature of 72 is too cold. If you can get his enclosure covered ASAP, that might be all that is needed. If you wait, he could get worse.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
You're welcome. I think he looks good. Charlie has never been to a vet. It's very hard to find a vet that knows more than we do about tortoise care. Sometimes they feel they have to do something to earn their fee, and may give your tortoise unnecessary shots that could actually create a problem where there wasn't one.

A click or pop when he is breathing could be the beginning of a respiratory infection. Often these will clear up without antibiotics if your tortoise is kept extra warm. Your ambient temperature of 72 is too cold. If you can get his enclosure covered ASAP, that might be all that is needed. If you wait, he could get worse.
Sounds good to me, would anything other than an ri cause this? I should have done more research before getting him.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Sounds good to me, would anything other than an ri cause this? I should have done more research before getting him.
I'm not an expert in tortoise health but that seems to be a common symptom of an RI. And you have been keeping him too cold, so it is a logical conclusion. If you can't cover it immediately, you could move him temporarily to a smaller container at night with a cover and heat. Do you have a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)? This will provide the heat you need without light. He should have darkness at night.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I'm not an expert in tortoise health but that seems to be a common symptom of an RI. And you have been keeping him too cold, so it is a logical conclusion. If you can't cover it immediately, you could move him temporarily to a smaller container at night with a cover and heat. Do you have a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)? This will provide the heat you need without light. He should have darkness at night.
After a week of having him I mounted a 100wt che over head. It stays 85 underneath it. I know that that is only putting a Band-Aid over the problem as that only Heats one spot at night versus the entire enclosure. You are definitely right I will need to cover that enclosure while I build a more suitable one. When that project starts here soon, I have looked at a lot of the old post about the closed chamber but I'm sure questions will arise.