Vietnamese Pond Turtles

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Scored a nice adult female Vietnamese pond turtle (mauremys annemensis) these are critically endangered in the wild and not too common in the pet trade. This female is a cpsrive specimen. The male (no photo right now) is a LTC WC male originally kept at the philly zoo.
Super awesome to be working with these very endangered turtles. Very very nocturnal.
image.jpeg

Rue

Canada
Is that 'melted' look to the carapace a species characteristic of Mauremys annemensis?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Cool specimen! I meet a guy some months ago who's working on a project with annamensis. He breeds them in bigger quantities and bring them back to the wild. The area is well protected but some years ago thieves stole many animals of the population for the black market...
Unfair world!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Cool specimen! I meet a guy some months ago who's working on a project with annamensis. He breeds them in bigger quantities and bring them back to the wild. The area is well protected but some years ago thieves stole many animals of the population for the black market...
Unfair world!
Awesome
Thing he is doing. Such a tragedy that they're poached still. These guys surprise me that they are still around in the wild. Such a small small range. I didn't get pics of him. But added a lovely WC male to pair with the female. Very hopeful to produce young of this species.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Awesome
Thing he is doing. Such a tragedy that they're poached still. These guys surprise me that they are still around in the wild. Such a small small range. I didn't get pics of him. But added a lovely WC male to pair with the female. Very hopeful to produce young of this species.

Yes hopefully. I think they will be very endangered in their native habitat.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yes hopefully. I think they will be very endangered in their native habitat.
Yessir. I know they're listed critically endangered. I sure hope they don't do CITES 1 anytime. Makes it more
Difficult to send offspring back to the wild. Which is a future goal of our organization. Especially this species.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes but I don't know how this guy do it. I thought he's working with an organization there. But I think he'll stop it because he thinks there is not enough protection and on this way his animals only get back to the black market..,

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yes but I don't know how this guy do it. I thought he's working with an organization there. But I think he'll stop it because he thinks there is not enough protection and on this way his animals only get back to the black market..,
Would love his information if you have it. This is the sort of thing is like to visit asses and seek funding for. I applaud his efforts for sure. It's tough doing something graceful like that and seeing them still continue to perish and be poached. But if he stops then it will perish much quicker. A way to keep it to stop is fund the organization to patrol and monitor more. Typically requires funding and more awareness.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes okay maybe I'm allowed to give you his name and contacts. I can ask him in the next days!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'd love to be out there smacking poachers if they try to hurt my babies! They'd call me the turtle warrior! I HATE poachers so much! :mad: