Vitamin A

Melissa9987

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
So I posted earlier about my new baby Russian having swollen eyes..

I didn't do carrot baby food soaks yet because he is still eating, I'm feeding him foods high in Vitamin A- kale with carrot baby food on top.

My question is.. how much is a baby supposed to eat? He's a little bigger than a half dollar and takes about 5 mouth fulls and he's done. Is that enough for someone that small?!

Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

Do you cut it up small for his small mouth? No, 5 bites is not enough. Do the baby food soaks, you're going to soak him anyway, just add baby food. You're not using a spiral UVB bulb are you? What kind of a light are you using? What makes you think it's a lack of Vit A? How do you keep him?

Melissa9987

Pittsburgh, PA
Do you cut it up small for his small mouth? No, 5 bites is not enough. Do the baby food soaks, you're going to soak him anyway, just add baby food. You're not using a spiral UVB bulb are you? What kind of a light are you using? What makes you think it's a lack of Vit A? How do you keep him?

Yes, I cut the food up in bite size pieces for him. I am not using a spiral bulb. I'm using a heat lamp in a dome and a 5.0 Reptisun UV light (the long strip kind). I just got him on Sunday and his eyes were already swollen so I guessed Vitamin A because he has no other symptoms. He's in coir with some moss to bury in. Warm side of the tank is in the 90's and I keep the humidity between 50 and 60%. He seems to have strength because he climbs on top of his logs and stuff.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes, I cut the food up in bite size pieces for him. I am not using a spiral bulb. I'm using a heat lamp in a dome and a 5.0 Reptisun UV light (the long strip kind). I just got him on Sunday and his eyes were already swollen so I guessed Vitamin A because he has no other symptoms. He's in coir with some moss to bury in. Warm side of the tank is in the 90's and I keep the humidity between 50 and 60%. He seems to have strength because he climbs on top of his logs and stuff.
sounds like you're doing everything right...I'd still do the baby food in his soak. At the least, it won't hurt anything, and at the best I have seen torts turned around because of it...I don't know what else to tell you, maybe somebody else has better ideas...

Melissa9987

Pittsburgh, PA
sounds like you're doing everything right...I'd still do the baby food in his soak. At the least, it won't hurt anything, and at the best I have seen torts turned around because of it...I don't know what else to tell you, maybe somebody else has better ideas...

Thanks! I gave him fresh food and he took a couple more bites, but I'm doing a carrot soak now too anyway!