Vitamins!

shayzeeeee

5 Year Member
Hi there,
My desert tortoises are just a few months old. Do I need to give them a multivitamin or just a calcium supplement? I'm giving them hay and clover and flowers regularly. I'm not sure of the importance of the vitamins and if it is essential I will definitely buy what I need to have heathy torts. I'm open for advice!

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Well I have a Greek tortoise so it may be different but I dust his food with calcium dust once a week. This can be bought online of at most per stores

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
If you scrape a cuttlebone, it creates a dust over their food. I mist the food with water first so it sticks. Also, do soaks with bird vitamins added in. I do about 5-10 drops in warm water once or twice a week, just for added assurance. Hopefully, it helps. Also, do the 4H > hot and humid = healthy and happy. Their little habitat needs to be humid. Truly believe what the experts say about the humid environment being vital to the development of your babies, for their kidneys and other functions. Do you have them in a closed chamber? Hopefully, you do. If not, read up on it. You can search "closed chamber" on the top right. For babies, a must do. : )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just a quick note - vitamins and calcium aren't the same supplement. You need to supplement with calcium, but you also need to use a vitamin supplement. I soak babies in warm water and a few drops of liquid bird vitamins, about twice a week.

The bigger tortoises get their nutrients from their food, especially if you offer them a prepared food like Mazuri.