Vladimirs leg scales....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbianco

5 Year Member
I've noticed that my Russian Vladimir is loosing her leg scales ... is this normal? Is she just growing new ones or should I be worried?

rbianco

5 Year Member
sooooo no suggestions???
and now that im looking at this site im starting to believe that vladimir is actually a male. so HIS name fits now... now i may have to rename steve. yes shes still a female.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
sometimes their skin does peel a little. If they're whole large scales coming off like from the front legs it could be that they're being bitten by the other tortoise, a reason why you shouldn't keep them together.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Some shedding would be normal, but if the actual scales on his front legs are coming off, thats not good. Post some pics so we can see and post a pic of the underside and someone can tell you for sure if its a male or female.

rbianco

5 Year Member
Honestly the red doesn't bother him. They have seperate houses that they both seem to enjoy.... its weird. The only time they are near each other is when they eat.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
well is it just peeling skin or large scales on legs coming off? you could try having two feeding places and placing them at separate ones so there's less competitive behavior around feeding.

rbianco

5 Year Member
here are some pictures. im also noticing hes actually puffy as well so i am calling the vet today. i just dont want people to think i dont take care of him... hes definately had it rough... the person i got him from was using rabbit pellets as bedding and it looked as if the had never been changed. also awhile back he had an accident when a careless oaf stepped on him and cracked his shell. cost me a lot of money to have him repaired. but hes a fighter and is extremely lively...:(
101_0004.JPG101_0005.JPG101_0006.JPG101_0007.JPG101_0008.JPG101_0009.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Well he is definitely a male. You're right he does look a little puffy, he may be a little overweight. As for the scales, I have not seen that and am not sure what it might be. I think a vet appointment with an experienced herp vet would be a good idea.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It looks like he is shedding,
But it could also be caused by a vitamin deficiency,
Are you giving supplements?

rbianco

5 Year Member
Vet appointment today at four and yes he gets vitamins... its so weird calling him a he after saying her for so long... its nice to know I was right from the get go.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
You have your knuckles tattooed I see! haha.

I dont know if its been noted yet, but vladamir's beak is a bit long.. you should have your vet trim it down for you. If it gets much longer he will have trouble eating. You can also get a little rock to feed him on so it will keep it filed down over time and youll only have to trim it this once.

He looks puffy for sure. Can you post a profile shot? like one completely from the side?
I think I missed where you said what you were feeding him. Mind linking it? Russians have a problem with over eating.. there are other reasons for them to become puffy but I'd say addressing diet is always the first step and it may be the reason his scales are falling off too.

Good luck with vlad!

rbianco

5 Year Member
Yes my knuckles are tattooed hahaha. I work in a tattoo shop and I have a good portion of my body tattooed. I got vladimir two summers ago and didn't realize his beak had gotten so big until I was looking at other pictures on here. I feel like a shitbag tortoise owner because im just realizing the issues. Vladimer is my first tortoise and he's always looked the same. I guess I just need to work harder to learn more. Its like working in the shop, I learn new things everysingle day.

rbianco

5 Year Member
Sobthe visit went fine. Vladimir is water heavy and I need to change his diet. The vet says his skin looks healthy where the scales should be and they most like fell off due to the hydration. Sarah (formally Steve ) has a slight case of shell rot on her bottom shell. But we are treating it and all should be fine. Ill keep everyone posted. Thanks for advice and support.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm glad to hear that he's doing fine. At least you caught now and that you found this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.