WalkingRock gets a new Pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
So, after all these years of only having a water bowl and getting his soaks in a bowl, tub or baby pool, WalklingRock finaly has his own mud pond! I used his old pool as a template at the lowest part of the yard, it helps that this area get sun from dawn till dusk.

1st I had to cut away the sod...
DSCN1009.jpg

Then the inspector came by.....
DSCN1011.jpg

Hmmmmmmm.....
DSCN1014.jpg

not deep enough.... dig deeper....
DSCN1016.jpg

12" is deep enough.... i think....
DSCN1018.jpg

Inspector is happy with depth....
DSCN1020.jpg

opps, a little too deep maybe....
DSCN1022.jpg

A solution presents itself!
DSCN1023.jpg

Mud Pit is complete!
DSCN1026.jpg

Inspector is not sure....
DSCN1027.jpg

OK, it will do!
DSCN1028.jpg

but it needs to warm up before I spend more time in it!
DSCN1029.jpg

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
RE: WalkingRock get a new Pond

That's awesome!! LOVE the commentary!Thanks and we all know he will show you how much he loves it, by removing those stones!!
Thanks for showing us!
Nay

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He reminds me of my Bull Terrier-VERY NOSEY:D. It looks good.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
This may have been answered already somewhere, but do you know how much he weighs? Cooper is 14 months old and is already over 5 pounds! He seems to grow an inch a week at this point! :p

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
He is currently 24 in long and weighs in at 80-85lbs... I think he might break the 100lb mark this summer

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Z'man ... very nice job! .. dA' ROCK .. WILL BE ONE HAPPY CAMPER!
:D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I'm really hoping it will help with his dehydration issues. His water dish is to shallow to submerge his head and I'm not sure how much he has had to drink in the last year....but now he can submerge more than just his head!

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Forgive my stupidity, but is it just dirt and water you used to make the mud. Is it lined or will the mud harden up.. I really like the idea. My Willie has discovered how wonderful water can be. I put a sprinkler on low and she will walk threw it and flip mud on her back it's cute.. The water dish I have in he habitat seems to have dirt tracked through it everyday so your idea is appealing to me...

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
The mud is made from the local dirt.... or I should say...CLAY! as it stands now the absorption rate for a half filled pit and no stepping stones is about 36 hours. I'm hoping it will increase because I'm afraid of stagnation. I may let it dry completely out and put in a concrete bottom so I can make sure to have fresh water at all times.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Zamric said:
The mud is made from the local dirt.... or I should say...CLAY! as it stands now the absorption rate for a half filled pit and no stepping stones is about 36 hours. I'm hoping it will increase because I'm afraid of stagnation. I may let it dry completely out and put in a concrete bottom so I can make sure to have fresh water at all times.

Oh I like the concrete bottom idea. Here where I am in Florida, it would dry up in hours...lol someday even minutes

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
mary t said:
Zamric said:

Oh I like the concrete bottom idea. Here where I am in Florida, it would dry up in hours...lol someday even minutes

Im sure if we had as much sand in our soil as you do, we would also have that problem but clay tends to hold water. I'm sure once the temp goes up, evaporation will help alot!

Blake m said:
What a great inspector your sulcata is!

and like all inspectors.... he was constantly in the way!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.