WalkingRock -vs- Spring Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Spring Cleaning gets the best of all of us, WalkingRock is no exception!

This year, Cathie went to California for Spring Break (not unusual) and I did alot of work out in the Yard (also, not unusual)but this year she brought back family members so we planned a small Family Re-union for Saturday.

So Friday, WalkingRock gets Ready to Show Boat!
I might add, the day was getting cooler and he was NOT a willing particapant in the whole ordeal!

Along with a bath, he also got his simi-annual
measurments

WalkingRock,90lbs (down almost 25lbs from last weigh in) and 27" long.
IMG_0771_zps1d05fab0.jpg

IMG_0772_zpsa68517d0.jpg

IMG_0773_zps62921b93.jpg

IMG_0776_zps08aed736.jpg

I expect he will gain back his weight very fast now that Winter has let go and he is getting more time in the Sun and eating all my Monkey Grass!

As soon as I get some pics, I'll do another thread about the Up Grades to WalkingRocks Bunker....Hint; I had to do somthing with all that grass I dug up out of Eros and Gaias run!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I just love Walking Rock. I was noticing the door flap on his bunker. It looks like some type of fabric? When my hubby and I were down at the AZ Sonoran Desert Museum a few weeks ago, I noticed that their desert tort enclosure had a similar door. Their pen had underground bunkers that were closed with something like canvas or suncloth flaps?? Not the usual vinyl that everyone on the forum here seem to use. Do you like it better?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
DesertGrandma said:
I just love Walking Rock. I was noticing the door flap on his bunker. It looks like some type of fabric? When my hubby and I were down at the AZ Sonoran Desert Museum a few weeks ago, I noticed that their desert tort enclosure had a similar door. Their pen had underground bunkers that were closed with something like canvas or suncloth flaps?? Not the usual vinyl that everyone on the forum here seem to use. Do you like it better?

It is accually a doubled up bath towel. It works pretty good at keeping the heat in and WalkingRock passes in and out easily enough. I'm hoping it gives him the illusion of being in a deeper burrow by blocking out more of the light and stopping him from trying to go deeper. So far I am quite pleased with it!:)

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
I just love the huge Sulcatas. He is very handsome! What is his name tag thingy, and how is it attached? Just curious :)

Thalatte

5 Year Member
So it's on for sulcatas to lose that much weight over winter?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Redari said:
I just love the huge Sulcatas. He is very handsome! What is his name tag thingy, and how is it attached? Just curious :)

It is a Dog Tag with His name, address and my phone number in case he gets out....again! It is attached with Heavy duty, 2 part epoxy

bigred said:
He is a good looking guy

Thanks!:)

Thalatte said:
So it's on for sulcatas to lose that much weight over winter?

I don't know. This is the 1st time I have weighed him this early in the year. He seems fine and is eating like a starving man! He wiped out my last stand of Monkey Grass in the back yard in about 36 hours!

morloch

5 Year Member
So happy to see pics of walking rock again!!! Such a character!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
morloch said:
So happy to see pics of walking rock again!!! Such a character!

Character? he's all 7 dwarves!:p

Redari said:
Neat idea, thanks Zamric.

FYI

If you chose to use Epoxy to secure a dogtag to your tort, please be careful NOT to let the epoxy bridge 2 scutes! I had to wait for WalkingRock to get big enough to use the Dogtag I needed him to have.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, is that a normal winter weight loss? Seems like so much. I sure hope its a normal,thing, would hate for the big guy to get sick:(

ainfalt

5 Year Member
DesertGrandma said:

My brother told me you can get artificial leather at wal-mart to use as a flap. I haven't yet but thought I'd share.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Yay new Walking Rock pictures! He's so gorgeous. I'm going to keep that towel idea in mind.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
wellington said:
Wow, is that a normal winter weight loss? Seems like so much. I sure hope its a normal,thing, would hate for the big guy to get sick:(

He doesn't show any signs of illness just a hearty appitite!

morloch said:
Lol,,, but you wouldn't have him any other way!!!

You Betcha!;)

pugsandkids said:
Yay new Walking Rock pictures! He's so gorgeous. I'm going to keep that towel idea in mind.

I used to shred the towel into strips so he could see outside kinda, but he really does seem to prefer it like this.

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Yeah I thought of that, not sure if my star would ever get big enough for it to work. Maybe a very small dog tag :p

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Redari said:
Yeah I thought of that, not sure if my star would ever get big enough for it to work. Maybe a very small dog tag :p

I doupt your little Star would put the kinda stress on a dogtag that WalkingRock does! I used to put it on his rear scute, but he would have it knocked off in weeks. If WR was prone to digging (he's not...YET!) then this location would NOT be very good either since his front scute is more a Earth Plow than anything else!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Looks very healthy and happy to me , I suspect you had a miss read on the weight last year, rather than him loosing that much weight during the winter.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Len said:
Looks very healthy and happy to me , I suspect you had a miss read on the weight last year, rather than him loosing that much weight during the winter.

:D You are SO RIGHT! At his last weigh-in on 7/21/12 he was (according to Pic) 89 lbs. I must have been remembering all wrong and think he would GET to 125 lbs by THIS Summer.

I feel much better about his weight now!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.