WalkingRock-vs- The New Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason g.

5 Year Member
That is awesome. They are some really cool tortoises. Walking rock is a mountain for sure.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Thanks! I always knew WalkingRock was large and he does turn heads wherever he goes but I never saw him when he was little... in fact he looked like this when he and I met...
5208906-R1-008-2A.jpg

... but when I got Eros and Gaia a couple of weeks ago for Valentinesday, well, that's when I learned that he was near monsterous! (and getting bigger everyday!)

Moose

5 Year Member
Texas
That is a great looking Sulcata! Great name as well! Lol... How active has your Sulcata been within the last month? I finally forced Moose out of his house on Sunday for the first time in 3 weeks! Once he was out he seemed to be a happy camper... ( FYI... I also live in the North Texas area)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What kind of dog house is that and do you have it heated? Great idea. Also like your dog tag idea. You can't move as long as the tag is stilll glued on!! haha.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Do you have a nickname for WalkingRock? :p I would be tired of calling him by his long name!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Moose said:
That is a great looking Sulcata! Great name as well! Lol... How active has your Sulcata been within the last month? I finally forced Moose out of his house on Sunday for the first time in 3 weeks! Once he was out he seemed to be a happy camper... ( FYI... I also live in the North Texas area)

He has been much more active in the last week than he has all winter... I think it time for him to start pacing the yard!

DesertGrandma said:
What kind of dog house is that and do you have it heated? Great idea. Also like your dog tag idea. You can't move as long as the tag is stilll glued on!! haha.

That dog house was later seperated into 2 pieces to make 2 differant houses for WR and Rocky(since re-homed) and in this pic it was not heated but once seperated I did cut a hole into the top of each for a Dome heater (later scavenged for the top of his new Bunker)

lushcious said:
Do you have a nickname for WalkingRock? :p I would be tired of calling him by his long name!

No Nickname Just WalkingRock, Tho sometimes Cathie will call him The Rock. (Definately with a capital "T");)

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
I just have question about the name tag on walking rock. If i hook the
tag to the center of the scute where the growth is done, it shouldnt hurt as the new growth is at the edge of the scute? if any one else has an opinion please let me know. laura

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRocks Tag is put on with a 2 part epoxy. GREAT care was taken to AVOID the edges of the scutes...in fact I had to wait about a year before his front scute was large enough to apply it without touching any of the dark area of the scute just to make sure I avoided the growth area! I also wanted to avoid the center of the scute because I didn't want to cover his original scute and I had to shape the tag with a hammer and anvil to fit the contour of his scute so I could avoid using to much epoxy (The tag was perfectly flush to the contour)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You took good care to attach the tag and put a lot of thought into it. I think it is a great idea when done properly like you did. Probably would save a lot of tortoises from being bounced around from person to person after they go "travelling." Does yours just have your address or did you engrave something else on it? I could see this as a business venture for you (then I am always looking at new ideas and inventions :cool:. Can you see pitfalls if done by a person who is less precise than you?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
DesertGrandma said:
You took good care to attach the tag and put a lot of thought into it. I think it is a great idea when done properly like you did. Probably would save a lot of tortoises from being bounced around from person to person after they go "travelling." Does yours just have your address or did you engrave something else on it? I could see this as a business venture for you (then I am always looking at new ideas and inventions :cool:. Can you see pitfalls if done by a person who is less precise than you?

My biggest concern is 2 fold

The 2 part epoxy I used was intended for use in Bridge construction. It is waterproof and harder than stone and almost impossable to remove once set.

1] What if I move? or what happens when WalkingRock is passed on to my Granddaughter after I'm gone? (Yes, my address and phone number are on the tag)

2] What about the shell under the epoxy? Will it or has it rotted? and if so, what are the issues that WalkingRock will face if it has?

Im not sure about the Pouriousness of live Tortoise shell... does it breath like out skin? will it rot if not exposed to fresh air and sunshine? Unfortunatly, these are things I DIDN'T think about before putting it on with the epoxy I used. I was just tired of him scraping it off his rear Scute where I had originally put it with 2 or 3 differant adhesives. I liked it as a "Lisence Plate" look, but get lots of compliments on how it looks there.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Those are all really good questions that I didn't think of either. Would be a good topic for another thread. Maybe some experienced people would chime in with their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.