**WANTED** Forstens Male

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStarTurtle

5 Year Member
I am need of a Forstens adult Male for my female! IF anyone has one or possibly a pair please let me know.

I might part with her(doubt it) for the right offer and will update with a picture, but I would really just like to find a male.

Thanks in advance!!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
LoneStarTurtle said:
I am need of a Forstens adult Male for my female! IF anyone has one or possibly a pair please let me know.

I might part with her(doubt it) for the right offer and will update with a picture, but I would really just like to find a male.

Thanks in advance!!

Don't worry, there's a shipment of about a million of them landing in California any day now. The Forstens market will be shot in no time!

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Well, I need a male too. Perhaps this will be my chance to get one. Or several more for that matter. Regardless of the market, I will continue to keep them, as they are quite personable tortoises, much like my elongata.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
TylerStewart said:
LoneStarTurtle said:

Thanks in advance!!

Don't worry, there's a shipment of about a million of them landing in California any day now. The Forstens market will be shot in no time!
And hopefully healthy and unstressed, right. I picture males shipped together. Cross your fingers.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Itort said:
And hopefully healthy and unstressed, right. I picture males shipped together. Cross your fingers.

Almost a guaranteed "no." They may have landed already, I'm not sure the exact date. These Asian/Indo types are traditionally hard to clean up. I'll probably add a few more, but I'd prefer the shipment didn't come at all.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'm sorry to say Tyler is right. I picture the ones that survive being sold with no info at all and people wondering why the two (males) they got or see in pet shop are beatup and bloody. They are great torts but you have to follow the prodicals.

LoneStarTurtle

5 Year Member
Eh....given ample room I have housed males together no problem finding this female to be about as aggressive as they come. Shipping done right is easy as well, provided they are "bagged" which is safer for the tortoise anyway to prevent head, neck, and stress related injuries. That or having enough filler (shredded paper) to prevent them from moving around too much.

I am just really getting back into the hobby having been spurred by a local vet giving me an unwanted sulcuta which forced me to dedicate an entire back yard to his enclosure. To keep my flowerbeds I had to put up concrete and brick walls around them. These flowerbeds of course created perfect habitats for other tortoises... It is true what they say though once this is in your blood it is there for life! The female I have would not open her eyes, eat anything, or move much when I found her at a asian pet store here. She is now a terror and if I stand in one place long enough treats my shoe like another tortoises and bumping me until I move. I love her and think a mate would be great because as you have stated people import and kill a market until there is no more to be imported, and then it is up to responsible people amongst us to do what we can do to preserve the species.

For tortoises we all should be looking at what was done in the parrot markets. Eventually there will be laws in place to prevent the import of any wild caught animals. Many parrot species today are more commen in captivity than they are in the wild as a direct result of the market pressures of closing importation all together. Until that day everyone concerned should do what little they can to insure those animals we all have are happy and breeding, even if they are worth less because they are still being imported.

All of the above are just an opinion.... not meant to offend anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.