Was reading about the galapogos islands today

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Well today i was reading about south america and the galapagos islands at school today. I read that pirates would capture the tortoises there and keep them on the ship because they can live without food or water. I also read that the 3 out of 11 tortoise species are extinct. What a way to live :( :tort:

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
That's too bad, but I wouldn't really blame those pirates, they need food and at that time, what would be easier to take than big giant tortoise?

I think that's a good reason for you to study hard, grow big, be rich and put some money to conserve them :D

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
It wasn't only pirates. Pretty much any ship would do this back in the day, even "civilized" people. They also did the same thing with aldabra tortoises. They didn't have refrigeration back then, so it was fresh meat and oil that could be stuck in a corner somewhere until needed.

One thing I never heard about is how they killed and butchered them. It seems like it would take power tools to get through the shell.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Tortus said:
It wasn't only pirates. Pretty much any ship would do this back in the day, even "civilized" people. They also did the same thing with aldabra tortoises. They didn't have refrigeration back then, so it was fresh meat and oil that could be stuck in a corner somewhere until needed.

One thing I never heard about is how they killed and butchered them. It seems like it would take power tools to get through the shell.

You put a bad picture in my mind!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
mattgrizzlybear said:
You put a bad picture in my mind!

Sorry. But the whole thing was a bad picture according to today's standards. Back then people only cared about their own survival and nothing about conservation (well, this is still the case with many Republicans who hate environmentalists but I won't get into that).

In the US we nearly wiped out the bison because they were needed by Native Americans, and in Australia they purposely made the Tasmanian Tiger extinct because they were accused of eating livestock.

We're slowly improving. It's too late for many species but hopefully we can help a few more thrive in the wild.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
Tortus said:
Sorry. But the whole thing was a bad picture according to today's standards. Back then people only cared about their own survival and nothing about conservation (well, this is still the case with many Republicans who hate environmentalists but I won't get into that).

In the US we nearly wiped out the bison because they were needed by Native Americans, and in Australia they purposely made the Tasmanian Tiger extinct because they were accused of eating livestock.

We're slowly improving. It's too late for many species but hopefully we can help a few more thrive in the wild.

In the 19th Century, market, subsistence and recreational hunting nearly eliminated the bison throughout its range in North America. It wasn't Native Americans. They only killed what they could use. And, they used every part.

EKLC

5 Year Member
MrJorgensen said:
Tortus said:

In the 19th Century, market, subsistence and recreational hunting nearly eliminated the bison throughout its range in North America. It wasn't Native Americans. They only killed what they could use. And, they used every part.

I think he's saying that killing off the bison was a way of attacking the native americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.