Wasp waist?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So when do red foots develop the "Wasp waist" trait? Can anyone enlighten me on this gene expression a little bit...?
I thought that i remembered reading that gender specific traits were expressed just as frequently by female red foots as they are for males. So there was no specific way to spot a male , aside from seeing his penis during a soak. So is the waist look a male thing or not...?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Males can, but don't always get that waistline.
Males often, but not always get a heavily dished plastron.

Though I've kept Redfoot now for a couple of decades, I still get fooled pretty regularly by some that are not large enough to 100% tell.
That's because a lot of females look male and a lot of males look female. The tail is still the best bet. Males have a very long and thick tail.
Adult Redfoot are pretty easy to tell. The smaller ones are difficult.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So when do red foots develop the "Wasp waist" trait? Can anyone enlighten me on this gene expression a little bit...?
I thought that i remembered reading that gender specific traits were expressed just as frequently by female red foots as they are for males. So there was no specific way to spot a male , aside from seeing his penis during a soak. So is the waist look a male thing or not...?
Northen males show a waist band. Brazilians and Bolivians don't. There's probably exceptions to the rule as always.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My 4 year old male is starting to develop a waist. I've got a 50% success rate guessing on young tortoises who haven't flashed me. Best I can offer.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I think George is getting the wasp waist ever so slightly. I believe he is about 5 1/2 years in this photo. About 5 1/2 lbs and over 9 inches SCL.20170810_135233.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This was Pedro.
A very sexualy active Northern with almost no waistline.
And below is an obviously male Giant Bolivian.

Attachments

• 20160404_150008.jpg
    20160404_150008.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
  • 20150726_110202-1.jpg
    20150726_110202-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
You got me with those two photos Ed. First one looks female...@cdmay Any input on this topic.

I found myself studying that first picture for a while. If you hadn't said it was male, I would have guessed female. Aside from the indented plastron, which doesn't appear heavily curved, the rest looks female. It also looks very healthy and clean, btw.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
It would be nice to know at what size you should be able to start look for gender specific traits. Tank Girl has some of the shell traits that might indicate male, just like George in the picture, but I still think that tail is small enough for a female on Tank Girl.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I found myself studying that first picture for a while. If you hadn't said it was male, I would have guessed female. Aside from the indented plastron, which doesn't appear heavily curved, the rest looks female. It also looks very healthy and clean, btw.
It was a male that was a love machine.
I can't remember who I gave him to.
Maybe @mfishmanm ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Also I had a female box turtle with red eyes 😅 Well... unless a male boxie can lay eggs 😜

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You got me with those two photos Ed. First one looks female and I didn't think Bolivians had the waistband. Are sure it's not a mig male from Suriname?

@cdmay Any input on this topic.
Years later.
Craig is no longer with us here at the forum. But that same Redfoot, Julio is ALL MALE.
He never did develop a lot of outwardly male traits