Water (proof?) UVB?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
My girl sliders just burned out ANOTHER bulb because if their splashing! Not the heat, I have one of those special turtlepond bulbs that costs a lot, and doesn't mind if it gets splashed, but my UVB! It's a 4foot tube UVb from the fish section with full spectrum lighting, and they are soft or expensive to have to get another one every few weeks... is there such a thing as a water resistant UVB?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Not that I have ever seen. Maybe you can put it over a land baskng area and not the water?
The tank is 4 feet long too, so the bulb stretches over everything.. my guess is that the part over the water got splashed.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hi fellow Yellow Turtle, I second Wellington, why not changing a shorter tube and put it over the basking site, or replace the basking area heater with MVB which provide heat and UVB at the same time.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks! I actually have never used an MVB, I could get one and see how it works out. My smaller painted turtles have never burned out a UVB, and they splash a bit, could it just be the hood?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I will use MVB if I were you. The place where you live, selling various and better brands of MVB than what I have here, and I still use MVB here.

Another thing is that I don't really think UVB is much needed as long as you provide turtles with good turtle pellets. Once I kept my painted indoor for years and only using a spot light for heater. I provide him with mazuri as staple diets and cuttle bones for calcium. He absolutely is very healthy and develops well.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
They do have a cuttle bone, which they eat. I will try the MVB :D Thanks!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00101JII8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

These are the mvbs I use for all of my turtles and tortoises, shipping is usually a day or two so not too bad......as for lighting the rest of the tank you can buy led strips and stick them to the bottom of a 4ft rain gutter and you will have a nice led light and it'll be cheaper to run as well.