water ramps/bowls/something!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperjamila

5 Year Member
i saw the PERFECT water ramp for my baby sulcata at a reptile store while searching for a new dome...called reptile city. (they use it for their sulcatas)

so perfect. perfect slope. big enough. just. perfect.

whats not perfect? i'll tell you. THEY DONT SELL THEM IN THEIR STORE.
can you believe it? i cant. well they dont...

:[

im searching for a ramp so he can get in and out easy and not get it too dirty with eco earth and the walnut shell stuff we use

so. ideas? pictures of ramps/prices/where to get em at?
please :D

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
My PetCo had them on clearance for $12.00 when they were regularly $24.99 I got one for my new RF but I don't know if I am going to use it. Try PetCo.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
LLLreptile.com has a lot of good ramps/water dishes or various sizes too. You might want to check there. Its my favorite store personally =]

paperjamila

5 Year Member

tried petco. theyre a little sad. but ill try it again. maybe a diff location since they all vary in products

lllreptile has GREAT stuff!
thanks for the site :]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Some people use paint holders that you use paint rollers with. I can not believe that a reptile store would not sell an item that they use so well in their own enclosure, sounds like bad business pratice to me. Maybe they don't (gasp) like money. :)

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
paperjamila said:
lllreptile has GREAT stuff!
thanks for the site :]

No prob! I am fortunate enough to live down the street from the actual store and I can tell you from firsthand experience, everything in the store is in tip-top shape. Well cleaned cages, nothing smells, proper lighting for everyone and its pretty much always busy whenever I go in there. Staff is really good too. When I went to get the hut for Ernie, the only one I liked and that was wide enough for him [and small enough to where it wouldn't take up half of his enclosure] had a crack down the middle. I asked for a small discount since it was cracked when I went to pay, and they gave me 20% off with no hassle =] Awesome store period.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
What is the best style water bowl for Torts over 5 inches? Fluker Jacuzzi any good or just go with a dog bowl?

M

Maggie Cummings

I use the paint roller pan mostly and one small ramp bowl thingy. I bought it at a reptile show so it was much cheaper, $10. And it's awesome. But mostly I use the roller pans with a plastic insert. But my pan is rusting out on the corners so am gonna have to give in and get another one. Lasted 2 years maybe...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
webskipper said:
What is the best style water bowl for Torts over 5 inches? Fluker Jacuzzi any good or just go with a dog bowl?

I went to a lot of trouble to buy an XL Groovy Jacuzzi, only to find my little pinto bean is too wide for it, plus I read (after I bought it, of course) that Chaco's aren't big soakers so don't need the combo bath/water dish...

If anyone wants to pay shipping I'd be glad to send it to you, so some tortoise can actually use it!

I soak Taco in her warm, human-operated, warm-washcloth jacuzzi every other day now, and she loves it for about 5 minutes, sometimes even 10, before she starts trying to climb out.

Silly little knucklehead was trying to ram her way through the sunporch doors yesterday, so I opened the door and put her out on the sunny, warm black mat at the base of the hot tub, then ran into the kitchen to take care of my lasagna, and when I came back...no Taco!! I looked all around the hot tub and was beginning to panic when I saw her trekking across the 4-inch-deep snow toward her favorite garden corner! She moves fast when she wants to go somewhere! :p

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Stephanie Logan said:
I soak Taco in her warm, human-operated, warm-washcloth jacuzzi every other day now, and she loves it for about 5 minutes, sometimes even 10, before she starts trying to climb out.

I somehow picture lit candles and a glass of wine nearby. Can we see a pic of her jacuzzi?

If you think the Jacuzzi XL will work for my 2 soon to be acquired Greek girls then sure, I'll take it. Send me a pm with your email and address and I'll email a shipping label. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use plant pot saucers. I buy the plastic ones because the water eventually soaks through the terra cotta ones. They come in all sizes and they're sure to have a size to fit your tortoise. For hatchlings I buy the pre-made waterers from a pet store. I try to find the ones with very shallow sides so the babies don't tip over backwards when climbing out of them. And you can always put a layer of small pebbles in the bottom of the saucer if the sides are too steep for your tortoise.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The XL Groovy Jacuzzi in my opinion would not work for a tortoise over 5 inches SCL, and even then might be tight (might not be able to turn around). For hatchlings and such it is awesome though. Unfortunately they don't make any larger size than XL, but thankfully by the time a tort is this large a plant saucer or paint tray could likely work. None of the ramp bowls have worked for us as my little guy gets high centered on the ramp. The Water's Edge bowl is bad because the paint chips off--don't buy it.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
The jacuzzi could be used as just a water dish right. So it is it best to provide something that will allow them to wade in rather than to sip from?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
The Groovy Jacuzzi XL is a perfect ramped soaking pool/waterdish for self soaking tortoise types. It is just not wide enough for my 5" wide tortoise! Hopefully it will work just fine for Webskipper's Greeks, or his upcoming hatchlings.;)

Poor Trevor! I can just picture the wee bairn high-centered on his ramp, waiting for Mommy to come rescue him.:p

Right now I use a ceramic plant pot saucer for Taco's water, and outside in the summer I had a couple of those clear saucers about 12" in diameter that I keep filled for my sweet pea to imbibe from or walk through as she wishes.:D

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
The girls we are expecting are said to be 4 inches so the jacuzzi will suffice as a watering hole. As long as they don't gain badonkadonks they could wade in and get out of it for a few more months. :}

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I have used it all, reptile water dishes, a glass baking pan, the things pots sit on, and paint roller thing... I've never really been satisfied with any of them. Most water dishes either don't provide a ramp in and out or aren't big enough. :(

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Someone needs to design a large one... They'd become "rich" it looks like ;) So if any of u can do that, please do! I need to fit a nine inch redfoot into a dish that has a ramp in and out!

Status
Not open for further replies.