Water turtle compatibility advice

electricdaisy

Location (City and/or State)
Garden Grove California
Hello. I found this site last week and my goodness I’ve learned so much already. I have 3 tortoises and 1 Red Eared Slider.
Yes. I bought him on a whim when he was the size of a quarter, but I absolutely adore him and he turns 6 on Valentine’s Day.
He’s called Dragon.
He’s happy and healthy in his indoor tank but I want to build a backyard pond for him. I’m in in Southern California. Very mild weather.
My question is, I would like to get another turtle hatchling to eventually add to my future pond. What type will be happily raised in an indoor tank and then transition outside when old enough and be compatible with my red eared slider?
And can I have more than one hatchling together if the tank is large enough?
I have searched the internet but I’m quickly learning that they don’t always have good advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Depends on how big your pond is.
@Markw84 can help on others that may be compatible. I would stick with getting another RES. Depending on the pond size and tank size for how many more you can get.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Are you sure yours is a male? Males are very aggressive in their courting behavior. As a result I just Don't keep Red-eared sliders in my pond. The aggression is more focused towards other Tracheyms (Sliders) and also Pseudemys (Cooters) and even Malaclemys (Diamond Backs). So my choices would be Chryseyms (Painteds) Graptemys (Maps) or any of the more bottom walkers - Kinosternon (muds) or Sternotherus (musks). If you have a shallower, or gradually sloped side, Clemmys (spotteds) area great turtle.

You can certainly get a few other red-ears if you want to potentially breed. Just be aware there is that courting behavior that will tear up the back of the necks of the other Red-ears. Nothing life-threatening as it will heal.

As for hatchlings all will do fine in a tank together the first year or so or until 4" or larger. Just keep in mind Musk turtles kept with other turtles will most likely nip off the ends of the tails of the other turtles. Just looks too much like worms - their favorite foods. So I keep baby musks together in another tank.

electricdaisy

Garden Grove California
Are you sure yours is a male? Males are very aggressive in their courting behavior. As a result I just Don't keep Red-eared sliders in my pond. The aggression is more focused towards other Tracheyms (Sliders) and also Pseudemys (Cooters) and even Malaclemys (Diamond Backs). So my choices would be Chryseyms (Painteds) Graptemys (Maps) or any of the more bottom walkers - Kinosternon (muds) or Sternotherus (musks). If you have a shallower, or gradually sloped side, Clemmys (spotteds) area great turtle.

You can certainly get a few other red-ears if you want to potentially breed. Just be aware there is that courting behavior that will tear up the back of the necks of the other Red-ears. Nothing life-threatening as it will heal.

As for hatchlings all will do fine in a tank together the first year or so or until 4" or larger. Just keep in mind Musk turtles kept with other turtles will most likely nip off the ends of the tails of the other turtles. Just looks too much like worms - their favorite foods. So I keep baby musks together in another tank.
Thank you so much for all the information. Dragon is definitely a male. I am not interested in breeding him because there are already so many abandoned RES in my area. Our neighborhood library pond is full of abandoned and discarded sliders of all ages and sizes. It’s very sad.
I will definitely look into your other suggestions.
All my torts are hand me downs/strays and Dragon is my only baby I raised. I’m trying to decide if I want to get a Russian tort hatchling or a turtle baby of some type.
I’m taking my time and gathering information at this point.