Watery eyes

Rufina

Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
My 2 1/2 year old red foot has a very watery eye. I have read that this could be a humidity problem, which I work on constantly, but I am concerned that it could be something else. Should I take her to the vet?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I agree, I've heard this happens when you have a lack of humidity or when it's too hot. No need for vet.

Rufina

Medford Oregon
I do not have an enclosed structure for her at the moment, in fact she is in a very large shower stall with substrate and everything. I’ve tried to keep her temperature around 85° and her humidity I struggle to get up above 75°. I will be moving her into her new place within the next week or so. I take her outside every day for an hour but since she flipped over in the sun in her outside enclosure and I think I almost lost her I am afraid to leave her out by herself anymore. Besides, I live in Oregon and it’s going to be getting cold before too long.

I now have a second question. How do you identify shell rot?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I do not have an enclosed structure for her at the moment, in fact she is in a very large shower stall with substrate and everything. I’ve tried to keep her temperature around 85° and her humidity I struggle to get up above 75°. I will be moving her into her new place within the next week or so. I take her outside every day for an hour but since she flipped over in the sun in her outside enclosure and I think I almost lost her I am afraid to leave her out by herself anymore. Besides, I live in Oregon and it’s going to be getting cold before too long.

I now have a second question. How do you identify shell rot?
Send us a photo and we can easily identify shell fungus for you.
The treatment....If it IS fungus is both simple and easy.
Use ATHLETES FOOT CREAM.
The photo is of the product I use from the Dollar store.
Make sure you let your tortoise have a warm water soak every day or two until you get your enclosure better situated.
Redfoot need that humidity.

Attachments

• 20190915_115036.jpg
    20190915_115036.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6