We are New Tortoise Owners! Advice & Tips/Tricks?

ashuffman

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
Hello!

I am one of 8 college roommates that have decided to take up a tortoise of our own, Leonidas, a (Baby) Jordanian Greek Tortoise. We purchased him from TortoiseSupply.com, and I have been in contact with the breeder, who has been extremely receptive and helpful.

We are all brand new to tortoises and raising animals in general, besides some experience of my own raising farm animals. I am looking for some confirmation that we have made the right decisions so far, and I want to make sure we get Leonidas off to a great start. I'll give some details about our starting setup but would really appreciate any recommendations regarding diet, maintenance habits, and possible setup upgrades.

Living in a residence hall, going to school in northern Indiana, here is what we arranged:
Enclosure: At the recommendation of the breeder, we purchased a plastic open-top, Hefty container (4x3x1). (I am already assuming this to be too small, and we can certainly upgrade.)
Mulching/Housing: Covered the enclosure with ZooMed ReptiBark & appropriately placed moss; Added a medium-sized log & terracotta saucer; We have a deeper bath as well.
Lighting/Heat: ZooMed lamp with 5.0 UVB Fluorescent bulb & 60W Ceramic Heating Bulb. (10-12hrs/day UVB, Heating 24/7 to 80-90F)-- Will be in normal room temps/humidity (~65-75F).
Diet: Have easy access to many leafy greens from our dining hall, but otherwise, looking for recommendations for what else/where else to purchase good food options.

Please let me know what else we should consider purchasing, reconfiguring, or any general tips/tricks that would be helpful as far as (Greek) Tortoises are concerned.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration! We are excited to welcome Leonidas home!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum! Best place for great help and advice.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Most of the information you were given is actually great information. We don't see that very often.
Give this a read. It should answer most of your questions.
Welcome to our Family at the Tortoise Forum