We lost our little Taco today

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsn8k

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Marcos, Ca
I am absolutely devastated as is my daughter and family. We put Taco out in the outdoor enclosure today and it must have been way too hot out for him?

I came out to check on him and he was fine eating in the food dish. Then I checked again on him an hour later and he was passed away. I am at a loss. He must not have had enough hydration is all I can think. There was a hide but he did not go to it. Just devastated.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Oh dear, so very sad! I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your family.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. When it is really hot, it is best to keep babies inside or have outside for a very short time. So very sorry:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You didn't know he would not make it. You wouldn't have put him outside if you knew. The next nine torts might be fine outside in really hot temps and then the tenth doesn't. Usually they would go for shade and cooler places, even dig in a little. Don't blame yourself. Mistakes happen and if we would have known we would have prevented them. :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sorry to hear the lost. I always monitor the babies very closely especial if the sun is warm. They dehydrate very easy, and some just cant get out of the sun in time.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Where do you live?
Sorry for your loss..

Scott

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
redsn8k said:
I feel like such an idiot. He deserved better. Thank you for your thoughts.

Your NOT an idiot. We also don't know for sure why he died. It could have been something you had no control over. So stop beating yourself up and take a mental hug from me. So sorry this happened to you. I really hate it when somebody who really cares for their tortoise has it die. :(

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
You are a strong person to come here and share this news with us.

Any of us who have kept turtles/tortoises for any considerable length of time have made mistakes that we can't reverse and will never make again. It can be so tough to swallow and it is ok to be upset, but it is important that we learn from this stuff.

It is refreshing to see someone wiling to come share the tough news. I know you will take this knowledge and everything else you have learned to provide great care to chelonians for decades to come. Don't be too hard on yourself.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I am so sorry for the loss of your baby.
Please take heed in what the others have said.
You are the last person in the world, who meant harm to the baby.
You wanted her to have some sunshine. Something happened.
We have all made mistakes. Some, heart breaking. The only ting to do, is learn from the mistake.
I am very sorry.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear the news. It's so difficult to lose a little one. But, like others have said, don't beat yourself up. You loved Taco.

Anyway, just send a virtual hug your way.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
So sorry for your loss.

May[TURTLE]
1.1.0 Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm so sorry.:(

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Just wanted to say how sorry I am. It shows how much you really cared about your little guy. Don't blame yourself, you don't know what the real cod was for sure anyways. Again I am so sorry to read this. Get some rest and try and feel better. Just please don't blame yourself. It sounds like your tort was very lucky. I'm in MI and my sulcatas don't get out very much and would probably love to be taken care of by you!

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
So sorry for your loss!! I know it's tough, and Taco won't be replaced, but it will get better trust me. I know :'( Don't best yourself up it only makes it worse, I've had that happen more than once and it's sad, but it does get better. So sorry...

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Thank you all for your support. I live in San Diego and we had a dry warm sunny day.

We have put him out several times before buy not when it was this sunny.

My family and I are very very sad. My daughters 9 and 7 are taking it very very hard. I have promised them that we will get another tort. I am not sure I will try another yellow foot as I think I need to have a more arid climate tort for our climate.

Thank you all for the kind words. I am at a loss right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.