We need advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amandak04

5 Year Member
We have a male Russian Tortoise that seems to sleep a lot and he isn't really eating. I got him for a Xmas gift from my
boyfriend and he seemed to be doing well at that time and up until two weeks ago. He just seems to sleep a lot now. We give him daily soaks and he poops and pees so I figure he is eating sometime when we aren't watching. I know he enjoys eating the Timothy hay in the enclosure we have. If anyone can give us any advise that would be great. And just to add the downstairs temp is around 90-95 degrees and upstairs is 100 degrees. Thank you in advance I hope someone can help!

Also we feed him endive, escarole, dandelion, mustard greens, turnip greens, and collard greens. We have given him cucumbers twice and he liked those and he has eaten tomatoes twice. He refuses to eat kale and so does our female Russian. We had wheat grass in the enclosure until the female had troubles passing it.

We need advice not advise :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Hi, I dont know a lot about
Russian tortoises so I cant help
you. I am sure you will get an
expert to reply soon. I did not
want you to think you were all
alone with no replies! :)
Good luck!

amandak04

5 Year Member
Lol thank you :) I sure hope someone can help us. I love little Digger and don't want anything to be wrong with him :(

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I sure hope so too!
I have an eastern boxie and
she sleeps a lot this time of year.
Is it cold where you are?

amandak04

5 Year Member
Yea we live in Ohio :/ so our weather has been pretty crappy out! But we keep the enclosure nice and warm. I can't wait to take them outside this summer so they can graze and bask in the real sunlight!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
amandak04 said:
Yea we live in Ohio :/ so our weather has been pretty crappy out! But we keep the enclosure nice and warm. I can't wait to take them outside this summer so they can graze and bask in the real sunlight!

We are in nasty Ohio too!!
I cant wait either!! They just
love it outside! :) I bet your tortoise
is just sleeping a lot bcuz of the
weather...I hope. I know a lot of
different types of tortoises do.
When the weather gets nice , he will
probably perk right up!

amandak04

5 Year Member
I hope so!!! He was just up walking around his enclosure! He literally slept all day yesterday! I am new to tortoises and just don't want anything to be wrong with him! Tank, our female, seems to be rambunctious and happy tho.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You could pm emysemys or Jacqui.
They may be able to help you out.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Most Russians won't eat grasses, and they really shouldn't. The temps might be a little too warm, basking spot should be about 95 (90-100 depending on who you ask), and the cool side should be down in the low 70s. You shouldn't give cucumber since it doesn't have any nutritional value and tomato isn't good either. He could be sleeping alot to try and cool off, or he could just be a lazy tort. Does he dig alot?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You should have 4 temps in your enclosure; basking side, cool side, ambient temp, and night time temp. I use a temp gun to check these temps. They need a "night" and "day" effect like we do.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I too believe your temps are too warm on the lower end.

For my russians I have the 100w uv bulb keeping the basking spot at close to 95 degrees. Then the cool end gets to about 70 to 75 degrees during the day. My timer keeps these lights on from 6am to 8pm. I use a oil filled portable heater to keep the room a little warmer than the rest of the house in winter.

At night the lights are out and I allow the room temperature to drop down to about 65 degrees.

These temperatures should allow your russian to be more active and to self regulate internal temperatures by moving into and away from the basking light.

Good luck.

amandak04

5 Year Member
Ok he started eating tonight around 7:30. Not sure if he is on a different schedule now or what but yes he does like to dig that's why we named him digger :) I only posted the temps where the lights are we have a huge enclosure and also shut all lights off at night. We keep both of the bedroom doors shut so the room stays a little warmer than the rest of the house. He likes to stay and sleep under the red light pretty much all day normally. I am hoping he is just being lazy and gets more energy once we can take him outside. We only fed the cucumber and tomato as a treat. I know it's not supposed to be in their daily diet. It just worries me that the female is thriving and always eats and explores the enclosure and now our male is being lazy :/ hopefully he snaps out of it real soon!

Brad

5 Year Member
Glad to hear he was eating! Oh wait, I was there, I seem him eat lol. What a relief! Thanks everyone! We would be glad to hear any other advice. It's greatly appreciated! :)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
What are your temps, basking, warm side, cool side and night? What kind of UVB bulb are you using? How big is your enclosure?

amandak04

5 Year Member
Here is the enclose it is 4'7" long and 3'2" wide

View attachment 38773

The temps on the warm side are 90-95 degrees. Under the second story it is 72 degrees and up on the second story it is around 100degrees directly under the light
The light is a zoomed 100watt
The lights are on from 7:30 am till around 10pm then I keep the doors shut so it stays 72 degrees in the bedroom over night.

image-1765430631.png

Attachments

• image-2864215356.png
    image-2864215356.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Looks good, but I would keep the doors open because it needs to get into the low 60s at night for a Russian. Other than that, I think you might just have a lazy tort. :D

amandak04

5 Year Member
Ok thank you so much! I sure hope that's all! I just didn't want them to get too cold while we were at work :) guess I was wrong lol!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Unless it drops below 50 on a regular basis (every once in a while is okay though not recomended) you should be okay. Night time temps should actually be 58-65. Some torts are just lazy. :) I'm glad I could be of some help! :D

amandak04

5 Year Member
Yep you were a great help! I will try keeping the door open from now on and hope my cat doesn't try cuddling with her shelled friends at night :) I'm sure it will be ok she is a pretty good kitty :) and thank you again for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.