We need help! (I have no experience)

Tyrell

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles CA
Well it seems I'm now charged with the care of a tortice, (Tyrell) and he has not been well cared for. I won't bother with a backstory, but suffice to say that Tyrell and I are now a thing, I can't get rid of him and he can't get rid of me.
I have no earthly idea of how to care for a tortoise, but I must care for him. He lives outside in a pen in Los Angeles and eats mostly spring mix. Truth be told he has had a rough go of it for that last 6 years or so and I'm determined to make his lot in life better... but where to start? Right now I just need to get him the basics but in due time I'll make time to get him fully tricked out. I need to know what he needs right now, like today, poor little dude needs my help but I dont know what I can do for him.
I've included a few pics so perhaps you good folks can tell from a glance his biggest challenges in the short term, his shell seems a bit jacked up in the back.20181005_112051.jpg 20181005_112045.jpg

Tyrell

Los Angeles CA
Hi everyone my name is Donovan and the tortice is Tyrell. So now I have to look after Tyrell and have not one clue on how to do that...
So here I am trying to figure it out.
Kind of an emergency for Tyrell, his last owner is not coming back and if not for me he'd be on his own :(

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi Donovan.

Some pictures of Tyrell would be great to start with and some pictures of the enclosure you are keeping him in and then we can advise you on what you need to change.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Donovan, I don't mean to sound nasty, but it comes across that you are resentful of having Tyrell to care for.
If you are, a tortoise is not the easiest pet, and can be expensive. Is there a chance you should be looking for a new home for him?
If I have misinterpreted your post, I sincerely apologize.
In any case, you have come to the best place for info.

Tyrell

Los Angeles CA
Thanks for a push in the right direction! Russian tortise huh... well that's a start, lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In order to give you the best answer, we need to know what species your new, precious tortoise is. Post his picture and we'll go from there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nevermind. . . I just saw your other thread (and I've merged the two).

Tyrell is a Russian tortoise. Believe me, he's gonna' grow on you. Russians are great little tortoises and plumb full of personality!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At one time , a very long time ago, he was more than likely chewed by a dog. All that roughness and lifting is old. It should flake off easily, but don't force it.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If I have misinterpreted your post, I sincerely apologize.
In any case, you have come to the best place for info.

Donovan, I had only seen your first post in the thread "foisted on me".
It seems I did misinterpret your commitment to Tyrell, and I am sorry.
Welcome to the forum. Before you know it, you'll be in love with your new best friend!

Tyrell

Los Angeles CA
First off thank you all for your help, Tyrell and I really appreciate it.
Tyrell is someone I've known a few years already and I'm fine with him being foisted on me, I kind of dig the little dude in fact. Used to be that he would come when I called him, I'm betting that will soon be the case again. Tyrell has had a bad couple of months but he's got someone to look out for him now. Anyway he lives in industrial squalor. All he has is a pen, a pile of rocks, a few boxes, a tin roof, hard dirt, a small flower pot drip tray for water, and a few weeds. He mostly likes to hang out behind a piece of slate that leans against the back wall, he digs around and sleeps there. Really dont harsh me over this picture/state of his pen... it's not my doing and I'm gonna hook him up with a major remodel. FYI he gets full shade after noon.
I've was told he is about to go to sleep for the winter and to only feed him once a week or undigested food will rot in his gut while he sleeps. Sounds fishy to me. BTW he has always just slept winters outside in the past, just found his spot and zonked out, I'm thinking this might not be ideal.
How often should I feed him, what can he eat besides spring mix? An old neighbor had a big tortice who liked apples quite a bit but I'm not sure what kind of tortoise he was, do ya think Tyrell will like apples? What about water? Poor little dude, I want to do him a solid.
I promise you all I am going to start reading and find my own answers very soon. In the meantime I'm just kind of in a panic, as I dont want to croak Tyrell before I figure out what's what.
20181005_141028.jpg 20181005_141034.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Keep up the good work. These little guys have a way of growing on you

NessTG

Texas
Well it seems I'm now charged with the care of a tortice, (Tyrell) and he has not been well cared for. I won't bother with a backstory, but suffice to say that Tyrell and I are now a thing, I can't get rid of him and he can't get rid of me.
I have no earthly idea of how to care for a tortoise, but I must care for him. He lives outside in a pen in Los Angeles and eats mostly spring mix. Truth be told he has had a rough go of it for that last 6 years or so and I'm determined to make his lot in life better... but where to start? Right now I just need to get him the basics but in due time I'll make time to get him fully tricked out. I need to know what he needs right now, like today, poor little dude needs my help but I dont know what I can do for him.
I've included a few pics so perhaps you good folks can tell from a glance his biggest challenges in the short term, his shell seems a bit jacked up in the back.View attachment 253382 View attachment 253383

NessTG

Texas
Hi, just wanted to say thanks for helping him and let you know Russian torts shouldn't eat fruit and be careful of spinach in the spring mix. I am going to try to uosd a file with what they can eat. Also they need moisture, I give mine a warm bath(up to his shell) 3-4 times a week. He soaks for about 15 minutes and I make sure to keep the water warm by scooping the cold out and adding more. There are some great Russian Tortoise pages on Facebook too that would be a good resource for you. Good luck to you both!

Attachments

• Russian-Tortoise-Food-Guide.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Tortoise-First-Aid-Kit.pdf
    44.6 KB · Views: 2