A soak

Tyrell

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles CA
So Tyrell hasn't had a soak in who knows how long, (as we just became a pair) so I'm planning on giving him a first soak today. Anything I need to know before he takes the plunge?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Warm water that comes up to the middle of his sides - where the top meets the bottom. Use a container he can't climb out of and leave him in there for about 15 minutes.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts invariably poop in the water. No need to panic, fish it out if he tries to eat it... that's normal too. Change the water of it goes cold ot gets truly disgusting

I like to use a washing up bowl as the larger volume of water stays warm for longer ... and marching round it encourages bowel movements

Tyrell

Los Angeles CA
Is it ok to have a soak after eating? I remember as a kid being told not to swim for a half hour after swimming, but always figured that was some kind of parent trick to give them a break from having to watch us swim all day, lol.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I prefer to soak first thing in the morning before the tort has warmed up too much and then feed straight after. It doesn't matter if your tort has eaten before the soak