Snack during soak ?

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Hey all,
Just wondering if it's okay to put a Mazuri or food item in the water when I soak
Sheldon.
Funny but I usually soak him in an old Easter bucket my kids used to use.
At times Sheldon seems distracted by the egg design that can be seen.
So to pass the time, I would drop a Mazuri in the warm water. First he would go near the food and drink the water near it. You could see a very slight brown coming from the Mazuri food. I was just wondering if anyone feeds during a soak ?
He rarely goes potty during a soak, so I havent worried about him eating close to
fecal matter.
I suppose when he's bigger, I will look back with fondness of the days I could
soak him in a little bucket ! Maybe I should start a tort photo album...hmm ! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20150127_201841.jpg
    20150127_201841.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I don't see a problem with that. They pee and poop in the water they drink, when being soaked anyways. My tortoises like eating tort poop, it's just a thing they do apparently. As long as it doesn't have any parasites and it doesn't I'm ok with that.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't see a problem with that. They pee and poop in the water they drink, when being soaked anyways. My tortoises like eating tort poop, it's just a thing they do apparently. As long as it doesn't have any parasites and it doesn't I'm ok with that.
Kind of agree :D it's a bit of delicacy!

While I don't see any real with it, I'd just feel kind of grossed out knowing he 'probably' peed in that water, even if you can't see it.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
sparky feeds him self while soaking if i don't change the water quick enough lol. the disgusting little pig seems to love eating his own poop o_O i find it grosses me out so i try to stop it.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Well ideally, thats why I put the Mazuri against the wall of the bucket so everything else is behind him...but I catch your drift.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Ok, well Sheldon soaked tonight without a snack but I had the soaked Mazuri waiting on his food dish. It does seem more hygenic. He gobbled it. I used to put the uneaten portion there after the soak. He still doesnt eat an entire Mazuri chunk in one sitting ! Thanks for your replies !

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard is very relaxed while soaking but has never pooped in the water. I wonder if tortoises are like rabbits which apparently eat their own droppings and I read that it is their way of getting the most out of the fibre and nutrients - I don't know for sure though as I have never owned rabbits.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No problem as far as I can see, I mean who among us doesn't like a bubble bath, and a glass of wine, or two, or 12? or some oreos? Your tortoise can snack while soaking.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
No problem as far as I can see, I mean who among us doesn't like a bubble bath, and a glass of wine, or two, or 12? or some oreos? Your tortoise can snack while soaking.
I've got a wine rack next to my bath, saves on my energy.:) mind you I get out to pee unlike torts. :D

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
My leopard is very relaxed while soaking but has never pooped in the water. I wonder if tortoises are like rabbits which apparently eat their own droppings and I read that it is their way of getting the most out of the fibre and nutrients - I don't know for sure though as I have never owned rabbits.
Yes, rabbits do eat their own poo. But they actually poo two different forms. The small round poo they do not eat. They also produce cecotropes which resemble a grape like cluster, which they do eat. People dont usually see those. Sorry if that was too much info, I am a rabbit person, had them all my life.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks newCH, That's fascinating - I learn something new everyday on these forums.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You don't pee in the bathtub? lah-dee-dah, aren't we fancy? :)
Nothing to do with tortoises at all, but that just reminded me of when we were in holiday in Majorca. We were on the beach and my 4yr old nephew was pestering and moaning that he wanted a wee. So his mum said "go do it in the sea", thinking of swimming in sea a pee. He ran up to the water edge, dropped his shorts and stood there peeing in the sea. Talk about funny, I could see other families laughing, kids take things so literally. :rolleyes:

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Nothing to do with tortin the ocean alearyises at all, but that just reminded me of when we were in holiday in Majorca. We were on the beach and my 4yr old nephew was pestering and moaning that he wanted a wee. So his mum said "go do it in the sea", thinking of swimming in sea a pee. He ran up to the water edge, dropped his shorts and stood there peeing in the sea. Talk about funny, I could see other families laughing, kids take things so literally. :rolleyes:
Thats funny, but really the fish, whales and othere sea life go potty in
the ocean already.