Wean Sulcata

Orbela

So I have baby Sulcata that has been eating Spring Mix, Mazuri LS diet and random greens from the grocery list approved. Have not fed grass because grass around me has been treated with pesticides. So I have been growing my own seed mix. so it’s getting hot and I am leaving ,Ammo, outside during the day. But it’s hasn’t been eating grass. It’s hasn’t lost weight but gain couple grams haven’t seen grass been eaten or grass being munched on. Should I be worried? IMG_1036.JPGIMG_1039.JPGIMG_1043.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises really don't start eating grass for three or four years. You can pick edible weeds then cut up grass into tiny pieces and mix in with the weeds. Some dark, leafy greens from the store are fine, like escarole, endive, turnip greens - and don't forget mulberry leaves.

Orbela

Dam now I feel like a a-hole was feeding less to try to force it to eat grass. So it safe to say I can trim that Bush back

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your tort is still very small, he should only spend a few hours outside and the remainder in a closed chamber. How big is he?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yes, I agree with Wellington. Babies should have high humidity with temps ALWAYS above 80f even in his hide...@tom says outside time should be limited to 1 hour per inch of straight line length at most. Half that is plenty in my opinion. Your tortoise is already starting to pyramid (bumpy shell from dry environment)and would also benefit from a daily shallow warm(95-100f) bath. Used to be that people thought pyramiding was from eating the wrong Foods but that's been disproved. Thanks a large part to Tom and a bunch of others on this forum. Check out the closed chamber threads by typing in closed chamber above in the forum search bar for ideas. I will attach two pictures... one is of a pyramided tortoise, which yours is starting to turn out to be, and one of the perfect tortoise which is what we should strive for... Welcome to The Forum! Bunch of nice people on this forum to help you out...Screenshot_2017-07-13-02-33-42.pngScreenshot_2017-07-13-02-33-07.png

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Orbela

I would pick the grass and any weeds and mix it in with the store greens. Spritz with water to help the greens stick together. This way he will get some of the grass along with the greens and will eventually start eating the grass.

Thank you will try this and Ammo turn 1 year last week and is 156g 5 inches big.

Orbela

Yes, I agree with Wellington. Babies should have high humidity with temps ALWAYS above 80f even in his hide...@tom says outside time should be limited to 1 hour per inch of straight line length at most. Half that is plenty in my opinion. Your tortoise is already starting to pyramid (bumpy shell from dry environment)and would also benefit from a daily shallow warm(95-100f) bath. Used to be that people thought pyramiding was from eating the wrong Foods but that's been disproved. Thanks a large part to Tom and a bunch of others on this forum. Check out the closed chamber threads by typing in closed chamber above in the forum search bar for ideas. I will attach two pictures... one is of a pyramided tortoise, which yours is starting to turn out to be, and one of the perfect tortoise which is what we should strive for... Welcome to The Forum! Bunch of nice people on this forum to help you out...View attachment 238066View attachment 238067

Yes I started a little late but at 5 months I started to bath Ammo daily and keep him in a humid tank. I make sure it’s nice and damp from what I read Tom post. It get about 4 full hours of sunlight and the rest the rest it half shade.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yes I started a little late but at 5 months I started to bath Ammo daily and keep him in a humid tank. I make sure it’s nice and damp from what I read Tom post. It get about 4 full hours of sunlight and the rest the rest it half shade.
"IT" as in his tank? The uvb and uva ray's can't travel through glass... And if you put his enclosed tank in front of a window you might bake him.

Orbela

"IT" as in his tank? The uvb and uva ray's can't travel through glass... And if you put his enclosed tank in front of a window you might bake him.

Yes a tank that is cover except for the CHE. No I keep it away from the windows

daniellenc

Maryland
156 grams is on the small side for a yearling Sulcata. My yearling redfoot weighs more. How often do u feed?

Orbela

156 grams is on the small side for a yearling Sulcata. My yearling redfoot weighs more. How often do u feed?

I thought Ammo was small
It’s was the smallest when I bought him and Ammo has stayed small
I feed everyday with mix greens and weeds I find at the store.
I feed a hand full but it doesn’t eat a lot maybe half of my fist
Feed Mazari LS about 10 Pellets and it eats about 7 pellets I’m talking about the small ones

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It get about 4 full hours of sunlight and the rest the rest it half shade.

Your tortoise must ALWAYS have plenty of shade available when outside. They can cook in full sun in minutes.

Where are you?

If the breeder didn't introduce the baby to grass when it first hatched, the baby probably doesn't recognize grass as a food. As others have suggested, you can introduce it to any tortoise but chopping it up into small pieces and mixing it with pre-wtted favorite greens. Start with just a tiny little amount of grass at first, and gradually add more to the mix as the tortoise gets used to it over weeks and months.

156 is a little small for 12 months old, but this is nothing to be concerned about. At that size, everything is okay and working, and he will likely catch up in time. Just enjoy your little guy and don't worry about the size. In time it will be a giant destructive shelled dinosaur that eats everything in sight!

Orbela

Your tortoise must ALWAYS have plenty of shade available when outside. They can cook in full sun in minutes.

Where are you?

If the breeder didn't introduce the baby to grass when it first hatched, the baby probably doesn't recognize grass as a food. As others have suggested, you can introduce it to any tortoise but chopping it up into small pieces and mixing it with pre-wtted favorite greens. Start with just a tiny little amount of grass at first, and gradually add more to the mix as the tortoise gets used to it over weeks and months.

156 is a little small for 12 months old, but this is nothing to be concerned about. At that size, everything is okay and working, and he will likely catch up in time. Just enjoy your little guy and don't worry about the size. In time it will be a giant destructive shelled dinosaur that eats everything in sight!

Yes it has shade all day available

I am located in Pasadena

I mixed it this morning to Mazari and I’m going to check when I get home if Ammo ate the grass.

I am enjoying the little guy hopefully eating grass will help with growth. But not in hurry for that giant