weather changing his appetite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I am noticing that Hudson is being finicky with his food and not eating as much. When he does eat, however, he eats with fervor and eagerness and his behavior seems fine otherwise. He still loves to climb and dig and explore my apt but I think he is sleeping more. I just want to make sure this is all impending-winter related.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
Mine started doing the same, he goes in spurts. I was worried at first but after reading a lot of similar posts this seems the norm.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
My Hermanns does the same I think they sense the change in the weather. I started fasting Shelby ready for his first hibernation I thought I would be hell but he not that fussed he as hunted around his table a bit more than yesterday but he tend to go an sleep when he realises there is n food.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
This is my 2nd year with my 9 year old rescue Russian Tortoise Ophelia. I dont hibernate her but she goes through the same thing. She will just eat enough to make a dent in her food bowl and she will sleep a whole lot more.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Thank you guys. Feeling much more at ease with his behavior now. =)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
That sounds like fairly normal seasonal-change-tort-behavior... however, if you are worried, it's usually only about $20 to have a vet check out a fecal sample to rule out parasites. That's usually a good idea to do anyway.

MarianneL711 said:
Thank you guys. Feeling much more at ease with his behavior now. =)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
My Tootsie Roll is doing the same thing. She/He is still eating, but certainly not as much as she was. She is burying herself and staying buried more often and longer than usual. I brought her inside for the winter Oct. 15 and she has been this way since I brought her in. I still unbury her for her soaks and she will eat once I dig her up, if I leave her though, she doesn't come out. I just took her weight yesterday and she has gained 10grams in the last two weeks! I'm starting to suspect she is eating when i'm not looking....

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Plus i hear they eat their poop lol. Gross but apparently good for them. Yuck! =P

Status
Not open for further replies.