weed ID please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Does anyone know what this is? Is it tort edible?
rljcsz.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its hard for me to tell because the picture is so green, but I'm GUESSING some sort of violet. Does it have flowers?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I thought it was violet too. I have not noticed flowers because we mow every week. If it is violet can they eat it? Lana goes for it every chance she gets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes...anything in the viola/violet family is edible.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Yvonne has it right, they are woodland violets and are a good addition to a torts diet. If you have a spot that gets morning sun, you can transplant some and get them to grow to thier optimum size and harvest at will. They will come up and spread year after year. The bloom in Spring-early Summer, small purple flowers...people somtimes candy the leaves and flowers and eat them as well.. Pansies and Jhonny jump ups are in this family and are also edible, if grown from seed...they are good fall or early spring crops, as they tend to languish in the heat of Summer, but with water and shade, the can be perrenial/biennial, and/ or self seed.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I think I have endless supply of it. I plant Jonny Jump ups in the tort pen and he loves them:)

Status
Not open for further replies.