Weighing Query?

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hello.
Otis, I was told, is 5/6months, born July 1st. I have been searching but cannot find any information on how big / large they should be at this age and what she should weigh ideally that doesn't relate to hibernation, which isn't a topic that's surfacing right now. My scales recently broke but I am buying new batteries soon. She has an enthusiastic appetite, roams, basks, burrows and the temps are all good. I am feeding her around the size of her shell, a few more leaves if she's still hungry in the afternoon, with an occasional sprinkle of Nutrobal. Her diet varies from plantain, spring greens, parsley, watercress, mulberry leaves, kale, beetroot leaves, dandelion flowers / leaves, sow thistle and this weed growing in my garden with a long name I can't remember but know is entirely safe to feed :)
But since her daily weigh-ins, she's been gaining around 3g weekly. I don't know if there isn't really any issue around this subject as long as they are behaving and looking well, but just wanted to check.
Thank you,
Olivia

FujiBaird

I haven't really found anything that tells you how much your tortoise is "supposed" to weigh at a given age. I think that's because there is just so much variance in how tortoises are raised (indoors or out? hibernated or not? dry or humid? subspecies? runt of the litter?), it's hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all guideline. It appears that Otis is either a hermann's tortoise or a greek tortoise -- is that correct? If so, I've found this useful:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/jackson-ratio-for-hatchling-tortoises.799/

You'll need to measure the length of the shell along the bottom, and know the weight of your tortoise.

(Oh, and note that this chart is only for greeks and hermann's)

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
I haven't really found anything that tells you how much your tortoise is "supposed" to weigh at a given age. I think that's because there is just so much variance in how tortoises are raised (indoors or out? hibernated or not? dry or humid? subspecies? runt of the litter?), it's hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all guideline. It appears that Otis is either a hermann's tortoise or a greek tortoise -- is that correct? If so, I've found this useful:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/jackson-ratio-for-hatchling-tortoises.799/

You'll need to measure the length of the shell along the bottom, and know the weight of your tortoise.

(Oh, and note that this chart is only for greeks and hermann's)
Thank you! And oh yes, she is a Hermann's. She wasn't the runt as such - I chose from a selection of three. One appeared as the runt, another a "hogger", as I call them (eat a lot, roam a lot, but appear greedy etc) and Otis was the perfect size and she was shy but then ventured out of her shell in my hands. Her subspecies is Eastern, she hasn't been hibernated yet though I plan to when she is around 2-3 years old, her humidity ranges to 60-70% (she is on topsoil so it keeps the moisture in and she also has a humid hide) and she is housed indoors in a tortoise table.
I will check out the Jackson Ratio, I have heard of it a lot, and measure Otis tomorrow as right now she is asleep.
Olivia