Weight Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveTheDadHaileeTheDaughter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
We got our two sulcatas around November 28th and got around to weighing them a couple days later. The one is somewhat bigger, higher dome, larger all the way around. When we weighed them the larger one was 11oz's and the other 9oz's. I weighed them tonight after they had dinner, got their nightly soak and the larger one is at 13 1/2oz's and the other is at 11oz's. Prior to us getting them their food wasnt what it should be and we've been feeding a mixture of stuff, pretty much everything on the good for tortoise food list(that we can obtain). We change it up pretty much every night. (The local grocery guy is loving us as we stop in every couple days to see what he has fresh and on the food list) My question is: how much should they be gaining weight on a average, when we got them we were told they were 3yrs old, and were around 5 inches long x 4 1/2 inches wide with the weights I listed above.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There really isn't any set weight that you can go by. Each tortoise will grow at different rates. The time to worry would be when there ISN'T any weight gain.

John

5 Year Member
the best way too know is too record their progress length weight. then you can monitor changes in that particular torts growth.i weigh mine weekly aand measure them about every two months.all mine are growing at different rates some will gain weekly some biweekly,some seem too have spurts.alot depends on your habits and theirs.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
At that size you should be careful to make sure they get some grass in their diet. For indoors you can try any of the dried rabbit grasses that are not treated, outdoors just let them munch on organic grass and weeds. Mine are about 50% grass to other stuff.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
TO get then used to the Dry hay.. cut it up with scissors.. and wet the greens.. place it in a big bag and shake it up.. it will coat the greens and they will start getting a taste for it..
Some never love it.. but its nice if they do.. makes feeding them much easier when they get older and BIGGER>!

DaveTheDadHaileeTheDaughter

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thank you, I've been recording weights as I weigh them so hopefully im on the right track. And I do also give them Timothy hay everyday. In the morning before I leave for work I put a good handful in the enclosure an wet it down with hot water and most generally they eat it thru the day. At night I soak a bowl of it in hot water for 5-10 minutes an put it in a small food grinder that shreds it up which I mix in with their other food. Thanks again, so far so good, they are growing and really active, and we are having a blast with them Thank you again !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.