Weight gain issue

Anna!

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata who is between six and 12 weeks old. I got her exactly one month ago and in that time I don't feel like she's gaining weight the way that she should. She is eating like a horse and will gain three or 4 ounces in a day or two, but then she will have a really big BM and lose the weight gain progress she made. When I got her she weighed 38 g, and she is only at 40 now. On any given day it can go up to 43 or so, but when she goes to the bathroom it drops back down to 39 or 40. She seems pretty healthy, she's in an enclosed chamber with high humidity, good basking (95-1000) , ambient (85ish) , and cool temps, never dropping below 82 or so using a MVB during the day and a CHE at night. I feed her twice a day and she chows down on what I give her. I've even increased the amount of food she's eating in the last week or so and she has increased her consumption, but it doesn't seem to help. She just has a giant poops! Should I be concerned?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Have you been offerring any Mazuri tortoise chow? Most agree that mazuri will usually help with the weight gain, along with the usual mix of greens of course.
I didn't know this. I don't use mazuri but that is a very important thing to know. Whats in it to make them gain weight.

Anna!

5 Year Member
I don't use Mazuri but if it helps with weight gain I will order some. Right now she eats grass clippings, radicchio, escarole, turnip greens, kale, grassland tort pellets, spring mix, wheat grass, and nibbles on the plants in her enclosure.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Fast weight gain is not always a good thing. Mazuri does help pack on the lbs but a good diet and correct husbandry is better than artifical fast growth :) I do use mazuri but only a couple times a week to round out diet. Your baby might have been started dry by the breeder which will slow them down a bit or she could have big spurts with more time too.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I think you are worrying prematurely. Keep monitoring the weigh, but as long as he is eating and pooping without losing, he is going to grow. They all grow at their own pace.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine hatch at 35-39 most of the time. By 4-6 weeks they are usually 50-60 grams.

So yes, there is cause for concern.
How often do you soak?
What are your humidity levels?
Closed chamber or open top?
Humid hide box?
Where did you get the baby and how was it started?

Anna!

5 Year Member
I soak at least once a day, often twice, for 20-30 minutes in warm water. My humidity is between 75-85 and I use a closed chamber. She has a humid hide and I keep it super moist. I got her from a reptile expo here in Lexington KY, and the breeder has a store about 20 away from here in Georgetown. When I got her at the expo she was in an open box with paper towel substrate and a tiny water dish with about 6 other torts. I don't know if that is how her home was always kept or if it was just for traveling at the expo. He also told me to feed her lettuce and carrots, which I ignored because I had already read your care sheets. I was initially told she was 3 months old but when I posted a pic a few weeks ago you looked at her belly and told me should couldn't be more than 2-4 weeks old, since she still has a big umbilical scar and no growth lines. (since then I think she has one growth line, but I'm not positive, since I'm fairly new to this and am not totally sure what a growth line looks like) I'm following all of your instructions on your care sheet like they are holy scripture, but she isn't growing!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're paying way too much attention to weight gain. Quit weighing the poor thing so often and just let it be a tortoise. Make sure you provide the best care you can, great food with a nice variety, a large area for exercise and clean water. If the tortoise eats, acts normal and is bright-eyed, then it's doing just fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak at least once a day, often twice, for 20-30 minutes in warm water. My humidity is between 75-85 and I use a closed chamber. She has a humid hide and I keep it super moist. I got her from a reptile expo here in Lexington KY, and the breeder has a store about 20 away from here in Georgetown. When I got her at the expo she was in an open box with paper towel substrate and a tiny water dish with about 6 other torts. I don't know if that is how her home was always kept or if it was just for traveling at the expo. He also told me to feed her lettuce and carrots, which I ignored because I had already read your care sheets. I was initially told she was 3 months old but when I posted a pic a few weeks ago you looked at her belly and told me should couldn't be more than 2-4 weeks old, since she still has a big umbilical scar and no growth lines. (since then I think she has one growth line, but I'm not positive, since I'm fairly new to this and am not totally sure what a growth line looks like) I'm following all of your instructions on your care sheet like they are holy scripture, but she isn't growing!

Wow. This is all good news. I think Yvonne is right. Stop worrying. Your diet and enclosure parameters are excellent. If tis baby had a less than ideal start, your good husbandry will hopefully over come it. Just weigh once a week and keep us updated.

You are doing all that can be done. It is awesome that you are paying attention, but not so awesome that its stressing you out. Give your little guy some time and see what happens.

Anna!

5 Year Member
Thanks so much everyone! It makes me feel better knowing that I'm not committing some major offense and messing her up! I will ease up on my weighing and worrying (well, as much as I can). Ironically, I work with infants and tell parents all the time not to be so focused on development and what their baby is or isn't doing. At least once a week I tell a parent to relax and let their baby grow at their own pace. Turns out I should have been taking my own advice!! :)