HELP weight gain struggle!

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So when I got spud (my hermanns tort) he weighed 31g and over the next few weeks he gained 1g and he had a steady growth rate. Then about a month after I got him he had a large weight gain and was up at 36g it's been a few weeks now and he's continued gaining (it's slowed down) he is now 39g

So I'm freaking out about pyramiding how could I slow his weight gain down? (I admit he hasn't got much variety in his food now as his food is still growing)

ALSO, is there anything I can buy from the shops for him to eat just until his food grows?

Thanks, all advise appreciated :)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Weight gain is a good thing, do not try to slow it down. Humidity is needed to keep him from pyramiding so work on that. here is a web site that will help you find food items
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp
Ok thank you. he is in an open top tortoise table and i spray it regularly. Other than spraying it what ways can i keep it humid? As for the food, I have written a list off the website you recommended and I'm off to the shops. :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
An open top is going to be hard to keep it in. Can you cover it at all?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Im back from the shop and i got Spud courgette, rams lettuce, watercress and a live Dill plant :) Heres a pic of him eating it:
IMG_0256.PNG Do you think i should put the Dill plant in his enclosure? my only worry is either he will keep eating it or if its too high for him it will torment him seeing the food there.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Courgette flowers and fruit can be given only in moderation.
Lamb's lettuce (don't know ram's lettuce) is fine as part of a mixed diet.
Watercress is fine in moderation, but contains goitrogens which can lead to thyroid problems and thus to liver or kidney damage.
Dill is ok in moderation, but many tortoises won't touch it because of its strong smell. So plant it in his enclosure and see what happens, but he may not go near it
See the tortoisetable link above for more details.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Courgette flowers and fruit can be given only in moderation.
Lamb's lettuce (don't know ram's lettuce) is fine as part of a mixed diet.
Watercress is fine in moderation, but contains goitrogens which can lead to thyroid problems and thus to liver or kidney damage.
Dill is ok in moderation, but many tortoises won't touch it because of its strong smell. So plant it in his enclosure and see what happens, but he may not go near it
See the tortoisetable link above for more details.
Yeah that was only a one off and it ment to say lambs lettuce but auto correct changed it lol I planted lavender and the dill in pots in his enclosure, he has nibbled it but I will keep an eye out to make sure he doesn't eat to much :) thanks

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I've had trouble with 1 of my Greek spur thighs weight,tried everything and he still gaining He's 2 and half and weighs 1900g,his shell is quite smooth considering how fast he has gained ,first pic is when i had him in sept 2012528486_10151173497077044_1237336786_n.jpg 10252044_10152381154607044_8011174850962322938_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10945983_10153075601523291_557020048_n (1).jpg
    10945983_10153075601523291_557020048_n (1).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 6

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Yeah spud is showing Tiny tiny TINY signs of pyramiding and I'm freaking out. I read that they should be gaining between 2-4g a MONTH spud is gaining that a week! I don't know what to do !!!!!!! He has a varied diet of weeds and a bit of veggies every now and then and I take him out to graze WHAT DO I DO? I really don't want him to have a pyramiding she'll :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yeah spud is showing Tiny tiny TINY signs of pyramiding and I'm freaking out. I read that they should be gaining between 2-4g a MONTH spud is gaining that a week! I don't know what to do !!!!!!! He has a varied diet of weeds and a bit of veggies every now and then and I take him out to graze WHAT DO I DO? I really don't want him to have a pyramiding she'll :(

First do not freak out. A little pyramiding is not the end of the world. Diet and exercise are good. So is humidity, how is Spud's?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Looks nice and humid.
He looks fine to me.
Many of the members here prefer terracotta saucers sunken in the substrate to those water features.
This kind can be a flipping hazard for babies, if they flip when getting out, they can drown.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Okay thanks, I just get so worried about pyramiding as he is my first tort. As for his home, I read that hermanns shouldn't be too humid but I do spray his open top table a few times a day and I'm looking into making a humid house just in case and I'm also getting one of those hydrometer things :) :(