Expected weight gain

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Napa, Ca
Has anyone charted their Leos weight gain and kept that record? Mine is currently 45g and only gained about 1g last week. Should Mo be gaining more than that? What sorts of weight gain do Leos typically experience weekly at this size? Thanks for any info/personal experience/growth charts you can share.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as they gain or stay the same for a short period and do not lose your fine. If they lose some, but then start to gain it right back, that's okay too. Be sure to weigh them the same time every time and either before or after a soak. If one time it's before a soak and then the next time it's after a soak, your weights will not be accurate as usually they drop a load in the soak and the weight before the soak will be including that load.
Best time to weigh is after a soak.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Weight gain is specific to the tortoise. I am happy as long as mine show consistent gains over the long term. A bit of up and down is ok, but a loss trend or stalling indicates a problem. I weigh weekly, and watch for the trend over 2 or 3 weeks.

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Good lord Maverick... yours is growing like a monster!!!! what are you feeding that thing? I've only had our scale for a week and a half, he's only gained 6g in almost 2 weeks, and he eats like Homer Simpson at a buffet. Sure does poop a lot too, about 3-4 big ones per bath. Anyhow, thanks for the info all. (been feeding mainly Dandelions, Kale, escarole, endive, and Mazuri... today was a kale and endive day)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @kmloughran . Have you read the care sheet on leopard torts? If not, please do so. That may help you as far as your tort's weight.

Keep us updated too.

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Hi @kmloughran . Have you read the care sheet on leopard torts? If not, please do so. That may help you as far as your tort's weight.

Keep us updated too.

Yes I have read it. I actually tried to read as much of this forum as I could, prior to getting my tort. I didn't see anything about expected weight gain/growth rate on there. Were you just referring to the info about feeding, or what part of that care sheet specifically are you referring to in regards to it helping me with my tort's weight?

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Anyone venture a guess at the age of my little guy that's 52g (just re-weighed him today)? He was a "return" to my pet store, because his previous owner was on the organ transplant list and couldn't have reptiles. They didn't really have much information about him, they guessed he was around a year old, maybe, but I was wondering if any of you would have better guesses. He's just now starting to develop white spots between his scutes, if that helps determine age... Thanks!!!!

Maverick

5 Year Member
Good lord Maverick... yours is growing like a monster!!!! what are you feeding that thing? I've only had our scale for a week and a half, he's only gained 6g in almost 2 weeks, and he eats like Homer Simpson at a buffet. Sure does poop a lot too, about 3-4 big ones per bath. Anyhow, thanks for the info all. (been feeding mainly Dandelions, Kale, escarole, endive, and Mazuri... today was a kale and endive day)

I feed the recommended diet, today was Plantain, Escarole, and Dandelions. Does yours like the Mazuri? My Redfoot comes running for it when I open the bag, either kind LS or "regular". However the new Leopard won't touch it. I'm trying to introduce it slowly. Other than that mine is an eating machine.

pigie

My leopard gained just 6 grams in 8 months :( From 32g to 38g...

ChucktownTort

I have what seems to be a healthy leopard who is 3.5 yo but barely a pound (400g). I know they all grow differently and slower is better than too quick, but when should I expect them to get significantly larger?