Weird back legs no claws

Austin Melendrez

I would appreciate any advice my tortoise has more like toes on his back legs than claws and there are no spurs on the back legs is this a mutation of some sort will this have any negative effects on it..none of the other babies looked like this ..also it is the biggest out of the clutch when i got it idk if that has anything to do with anything ...plz and thankyou
IMG_20161111_121845.jpg IMG_20161111_122055.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Well, that is an odd defect. Does he get around alright? I'd worry about what might happen when he grows into an adult.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Yes, that's quite odd, but I'd wait to see if spurs develop when it gets a bit older. And, of course, spurs aren't exactly necessary in your home environment as they might be in the wild.

Ken

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Very interesting! I hope he gets around alright without claws. His little tootsies are actually pretty cute. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It must be some sort of birth defect. He'll probably be just fine. I hope it doesn't turn out to be female. It might be pretty hard on those feet trying to dig nest holes.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He won't know he's different, sweet little thing, just cope with life as it is.
Let's hope if it's genetic, there aren't any more serious linked internal deformities.

Austin Melendrez

Well, that is an odd defect. Does he get around alright? I'd worry about what might happen when he grows into an adult.
Yes gets around no problen it doesnt seem to bother or slow it down...more than less me worring about like u said if it effects it in adulthood expecially if turn out to be a female..thanks for the feedback

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I bet he/she will still be able to dig. I mean, he does have toes at least. :)