Weird Poop.. HELP

Lifeoftorto

Location (City and/or State)
INA
My yellow foot tortoise just pooped weird this morning. He isnt eating much too. What should i do?IMG_2177.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
That looks like a tiny bit of urates which most Red/yellow foots don't pass and indicates being a bit dehydrated. I'd just bump up his soaks over the next week or so. Could also be a tiny pebble or something else he ate that is passing but the pic is blurry and without knowing your type of substrate, his housing, or access he has to other things to ingest I can only guess urates.

Lifeoftorto

INA
That looks like a tiny bit of urates which most Red/yellow foots don't pass and indicates being a bit dehydrated. I'd just bump up his soaks over the next week or so. Could also be a tiny pebble or something else he ate that is passing but the pic is blurry and without knowing your type of substrate, his housing, or access he has to other things to ingest I can only guess urates.

Its a poop.. but different color.. not urates.. i can tell the difference. I put him inside a container. Im currently not using any substrate since the last time i tried using coconut coir and then the forest bark and still some of them stuck in his eyes which caused him cant open his eyes.. i spray the enclosure as often as i could

daniellenc

Maryland
Are you talking about the white spot on the poop? His poop looks light because his diet is off. Dark green weeds and veggies produce darker poops. The white spot is either something he ingested or urates, However, to maintain humidity you do need a closed chamber and substrate which I know has been mentioned to you before on here. If you're still not providing the proper environment you can't expect better results. Orchid bark or cypress mulch do not stick to the tortoise or get in their eyes, they provide humidity, comfort, a place to burrow a bit, as well as traction for walking on plastic slippery surfaces.

If he's not eating look at your temps and his enclosure. A tortoise that is too hot or too cold will not eat. A tortoise who is uncomfortable will also not eat. He's in a plastic cage, on tile, in an open top, with no substrate, and temps that are not stable due to not using a lid. You seemed to have purchased multiple species of tortoises fairly quickly without the proper knowledge and supplies. If you're concerned about his health make the changes in diet and housing we've already suggested.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/easy-red-foot-enclosure.162059/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/information-about-redfoot-and-yellowfoot-tortoises.149274/

Lifeoftorto

INA
Are you talking about the white spot on the poop? His poop looks light because his diet is off. Dark green weeds and veggies produce darker poops. The white spot is either something he ingested or urates, However, to maintain humidity you do need a closed chamber and substrate which I know has been mentioned to you before on here. If you're still not providing the proper environment you can't expect better results. Orchid bark or cypress mulch do not stick to the tortoise or get in their eyes, they provide humidity, comfort, a place to burrow a bit, as well as traction for walking on plastic slippery surfaces.

If he's not eating look at your temps and his enclosure. A tortoise that is too hot or too cold will not eat. A tortoise who is uncomfortable will also not eat. He's in a plastic cage, on tile, in an open top, with no substrate, and temps that are not stable due to not using a lid. You seemed to have purchased multiple species of tortoises fairly quickly without the proper knowledge and supplies. If you're concerned about his health make the changes in diet and housing we've already suggested.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/easy-red-foot-enclosure.162059/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/information-about-redfoot-and-yellowfoot-tortoises.149274/

He ate a lot of pumpkin 2 days ago.. i provide him many types of veggie but he is not eating.. i just removed the substrate again this morning.. i will put it back again.. i was just worried because his eyes are full of the substrate and cant even open it.. what can i do?

daniellenc

Maryland
Rinse out his eyes........what is this substrate? He's a new tortoise and you've changed his habitat around so much. Read the link above, create that cage, soak daily, offer a variety of foods, and let him settle in. Why don't you post a pic of his entire set-up and substrate?

Lifeoftorto

INA
Rinse out his eyes........what is this substrate? He's a new tortoise and you've changed his habitat around so much. Read the link above, create that cage, soak daily, offer a variety of foods, and let him settle in. Why don't you post a pic of his entire set-up and substrate?

I just put the substrate back.. here is it IMG_2178.jpg

I soak him 3 times a day for 15-20 mins. I give some vitamins on his bath and i crushed some pellet to the water daily. I offered him a lot of varieties of food such as spinach, romaine lettuce, bak choy, pumpkin, cucumber, tomato, dandelion, wheat grass and even banana based on the seller suggested.. i will try to give some papaya tomorrow.. i also gave him repcal and mazuri but he doesnt want them. What can i offer to him??

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
[
Its a poop.. but different color.. not urates.. i can tell the difference. I put him inside a container. Im currently not using any substrate since the last time i tried using coconut coir and then the forest bark and still some of them stuck in his eyes which caused him cant open his eyes.. i spray the enclosure as often as i could
I don't think the substrate is what's causing him to not open his eyes I think there might be something else going on. Is this the same tort you thought was developing MBD? If he's not eating it might be time to contemplate a vet visit. Also I agree with Danielle your not going to be able to keep humidity in there with an open top regardless of how much you wet it.

Lifeoftorto

INA
Is this the same tort you were concerned was developing MBD? I don't think the substrate is what's causing him to not open his eyes, and spending a lot of time on a hard flat surface is not good dpi. If he's not eating, it may be time to consider a vet visit. Gluck

I don't think the substrate is what's causing him to not open his eyes I think there might be something else going on. Is this the same tort you thought was developing MBD? If he's not eating it might be time to contemplate a vet visit.

Yess.. unfortunately theres no certified in reptile vet here in Indonesia :( i will ask some professionals keeper/breeder for the vet recommendation..

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yess.. unfortunately theres no certified in reptile vet here in Indonesia :( i will ask some professionals keeper/breeder for the vet recommendation..
First thing I would do is get him setup properly in a closed chamber with proper temps, humidity, and uvb. These are are some of the things I feed mine: dandelion, kale, endive, plantain weed, hibiscus leaves and flowers, mulberry leaf, turnip and mustard greens, green pepper, pineapple, carrots, mushroom, papaya, mango, banana, cactus pad, cantalope, and blueberries to name a few. Also never just one item, a combination of all listed, and a different variety daily. Gluck

Lifeoftorto

INA
First thing I would do is get him setup properly in a closed chamber with proper temps, humidity, and uvb. These are are some of the things I feed mine: dandelion, kale, endive, plantain weed, hibiscus leaves and flowers, mulberry leaf, turnip and mustard greens, green pepper, pineapple, carrots, mushroom, papaya, mango, banana, cactus pad, cantalope, and blueberries to name a few. Also never just one item, a combination of all listed, and a different variety daily. Gluck

I keep the humidity around 70-80% and 90F.. i cover around half of the enclosure since i put the lamp outside of the box.. what kind of mushroom do you give them? Is shiitake okay?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I keep the humidity around 70-80% and 90F.. i cover around half of the enclosure since i put the lamp outside of the box.. what kind of mushroom do you give them? Is shiitake okay?
Yes just not everyday, as part of a varied diet.

daniellenc

Maryland
90 degrees is too hot and I don't see a thermometer in there to measure temps and humidity so I am thinking your temps are not correct or constant. Temps should be 80-85 degrees did you read the care sheets I posted? I also don't see a water bowl or UVB light. Get a plastic tote, add substrate, mount UVB tube style light to top of lid, cut a hole for the CHE to be placed on top of the lid on the outside (UVB on the inside), add water bowl, add food bowl. Nix the colored pellets they're junk and keep offering moistened Mazuri and leafy greens with fruit once a day. Calcium powder once a week. The link to make this enclosure is above. If you want to see a difference you have to make the appropriate changes. It's that simple.

Lifeoftorto

INA
90 degrees is too hot and I don't see a thermometer in there to measure temps and humidity so I am thinking your temps are not correct or constant. Temps should be 80-85 degrees did you read the care sheets I posted? I also don't see a water bowl or UVB light. Get a plastic tote, add substrate, mount UVB tube style light to top of lid, cut a hole for the CHE to be placed on top of the lid on the outside (UVB on the inside), add water bowl, add food bowl. Nix the colored pellets they're junk and keep offering moistened Mazuri and leafy greens with fruit once a day. Calcium powder once a week. The link to make this enclosure is above. If you want to see a difference you have to make the appropriate changes. It's that simple.

Theres a uvb light.. for the water dish i took it out when i took the picture because its too dirty but im constantly changing it.. i just washed the enclosure and forgot to put back the thermometer ‍♀️ i already did.. 90 degree just around the basking bulb since im using the semi closed chamber.. i have a lid but i put the lamp outside so its not fully closed.. i have check the temp on the other spot and its around 85..and anyway the tort doesnt like to be near the basking bulb.. i will put the basking spot higher then so it will get down the temp..

Lifeoftorto

INA
Theres a uvb light.. for the water dish i took it out when i took the picture because its too dirty but im constantly changing it.. i just washed the enclosure and forgot to put back the thermometer ‍♀️ i already did.. 90 degree just around the basking bulb since im using the semi closed chamber.. i have a lid but i put the lamp outside so its not fully closed.. i have check the temp on the other spot and its around 85..and anyway the tort doesnt like to be near the basking bulb.. i will put the basking spot higher then so it will get down the temp..

I mean “I already checked, 90F just around the basking bulb” some parts gone missing when i posted

Lifeoftorto

INA

What kind of thermometer should i use? Because i think mine isnt that good.. i put the thermometer on the walls near the basking spot that why i see 90.. but when i move the thermometer the temp dropped to around 85

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What kind of thermometer should i use? Because i think mine isnt that good.. i put the thermometer on the walls near the basking spot that why i see 90.. but when i move the thermometer the temp dropped to around 85

You need to be using a digital one with a probe. I would recommend a digital temperature gun.