Welcome Home Itzy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itzy's Momma

5 Year Member
[/font][/font]
Hello all,
I have recently brought home a Red-foot. I had been paying for her weekly for some time now and I am sooooo happy to have brought her home friday. The habitat I have created for her is like a wild kingdom, but she still insists on crawling in a corner and clawing at the corner...It gives me anxiety...lol. Any suggestions to distract her from doing this??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Itzy's Momma:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

That's just one of the irritating things that tortoises do...go into a corner and dig. You just have to get used to it. May we see your tortoises "wild kingdom?"

One suggestion - if your avatar is a picture of your habitat, it isn't "wild" enough. You need a hiding place that your baby can feel safe in. Something more closed in.

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. CA
Itzy said:
[/font][/font]
Hello all,
I have recently brought home a Red-foot. I had been paying for her weekly for some time now and I am sooooo happy to have brought her home friday. The habitat I have created for her is like a wild kingdom, but she still insists on crawling in a corner and clawing at the corner...It gives me anxiety...lol. Any suggestions to distract her from doing this??

Hi there!
It is normal for tortoises to "dig in corners" as they are trying to mimic burrowing behavior. You may consider getting one of those half bark style hides from a local pet store that is big enough for it to walk in and feel secure. Enjoy your new amazing creature!

Itzy's Momma

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Itzy's Momma:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

That's just one of the irritating things that tortoises do...go into a corner and dig. You just have to get used to it. May we see your tortoises "wild kingdom?"

One suggestion - if your avatar is a picture of your habitat, it isn't "wild" enough. You need a hiding place that your baby can feel safe in. Something more closed in.

I'm Jasmin and I live in Rhode Island so i don't live in an ideal climate for Itzy but have tried to make her as comfy as possible. What you have seen as my avatar is just the dry cool area of her "wild kingdom" and just one of her hiding spots. The other end is moist and 80 degrees with a ceramic flower pot with soil and moss for her. It's where I find her sleeping every night. She has 2 pools to wade in aswell. I have her in a rubbermaid under the bed tote so she can choose the climate she wants at all times. I will post some pic's soon, as I am pretty proud of myself...lol. I think she is content since the habitat at the pet store doesn't even compare to her new palace....lol. I have to construct some kind of cover for her damp/humid side of container because I have issues keeping the humidity up and use a wet towel at night for her with the lamp above it at an appropriate height as to not start a fire. Thanks for ur reply :)

Itzy's Momma

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
Welcome to thew Forum!

What made you decide on a Redfoot?

I seen her and just fell in love with her at a pet store! She's been with me since January. She's my mascott and spoiled rotten. Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.