Welcome my babies, Teagan and Addison! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannahBananah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Coast
I have had my babies for about three months now, and they are five months old. They live in a spacious and exciting tortoise table that I built myself! I bathe them 1-2 times a day and keep some shallow water in their home. I feed them a mixture of mostly kale, bok choy, red leaf lettuce, and mustard greens. I sprinkle vitamins (Calcium and the multi-vitamin) on their morning meal. I feed them 2-3 times a day, or whenever they are hungry, because I am worried about them being underweight. I keep a heat light as well as a UVB light on about 12 hours a day, and mist the enclosure to raise the humidity. There is a heated rock that I turn on occasionally to warm things up, and I put my hand on it every hour or so to make sure it is not too hot. I don't leave it on without monitoring it. That should answer any questions you might have about their care :)

I love them so much. I bond with them by letting them sleep in my hand and they love to climb on my clothing. I hand feed Teagan at least once day because he is so small. According to my semi-accurate spring scale, Addison is 28 grams, 1.9 in and Teagan is 15 grams, 1.65 in.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to improve their home or health. Thanks :)

P1060661b_zpsbbc52336.jpg

Teagan

P1060493_zpsde219d06.jpg

Addison

P1060612_zpsfc7d7d27.jpg

Their home!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi & welcome. I think your enclosure is amazing! The only thing I am wondering is if it is warm enough. Maybe adding a CHE or two around their tort mansion would be beneficial. Great job!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
HannahBananah said:
Thanks for your response! :) What does CHE stand for? Is it a type of heat lamp?

Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) It's a ceramic bulb that gives out heat, but no light.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The vitamins and calcium you are giving. Does the calcium have D3? When they are not out in the sun they do need the D3. However, you shouldn't give it or regular calcium everyday. Once or twice a week is enough. Too much D3 is not good. Also, be sure you have a UVB bulb and no coil type bulbs, they cause eye problems.your enclosure looks great.

HannahBananah

5 Year Member
East Coast
Oh, the vitamins do have D3, I will cut back on them. I'll replace the one heat bulb with a CHE, that will probably help.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I want to see more pics of your enclosure. Welcome!!

HannahBananah

5 Year Member
East Coast
Amber, thanks so much!!! :D It was so much fun to build!

It took 5 cans of spray paint- 2 textured paints which didn't go on very evenly, so 1 can of brown, 1 can of polyurethane, and 1 can of polycrylic because I found out that was safer.

Thank you for being so welcoming everyone! :)

P1060616_zps6349ff3a.jpg

P1060601_zps7c901793.jpg

P1060608_zpsf37fddf3.jpg

The rocks are in front of the window so they can't see out. Not directly anyway :)

Here you can see their skateboard for when they're big enough :)
P1060630_zpsc232bb8f.jpg

And their transformer :D
P1060588_zps91fa7f64.jpg

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome.....BRAVO! That is a cool tort dream home...fantastic job...your babies are some special little ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.