Well hello!!

loidbot

10704767_829223707118513_1848792726_n.jpg I'm pretty new at this tortoise thing! I work at Petco in Richardson TX and I had a customer come and drop off a tortoise and by typing in what she looks like I'm coming to the conclusion that she might be a cherry head red footed tortoise, but I'm not exactly sure!! Could someone help me? We take care of Russian Tortoises at my location, So i know the basics on taking care of a tortoise. But theres still so much more to learn! This little lady would be my second rescue, my first is my texas red rose tarantula, I also have a ball python, leopard gecko, guinea pig and we have three cats among the house! Some people call me the crazy zoo lady and I'm perfectly fine with that!! But attached is a picture of my Bella Redtoes and it would be amazing if someone could help me put a finger on what she is!! Thank you, thank you!!

Loidbot!!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) That is a Box turtle. I'm not sure exactly what kind, but someone will be able to ID it for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your three-toed box turtle is probably male. Females generally aren't that colorful. It looks like you have the right idea about what to feed it, and to that salad you can add some bugs and worms. They also like to sit in the water, so a waterer that's big enough for him to fit in would be in order.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Box turtles need a substrate that holds some moisture. Think forest floor or flower bed. Not wood chips.

Pet stores are in the business of turning over stock. They never see the results of long term care. Unfortunately, you just can't assume that your store is doing it right.

An outdoor habitat would be great.

loidbot

Its not wood chips, its mulch. Sorta the same but this holds moisture!! And I am going to change it, its just what i had on hand at the moment!! Yeah I understand the business I've been in it over a year now. I've been studying reptiles for years now, just not turtles cause I never thought I would own one! An outdoor habitat would be great but i don't have the means for that right now.

I've never seen a box turtle these colors, so thats what through me off. I have a friend thats raised them and never seen one this vibrant. I was told it was a female!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome. So good to have you here.

Alaskamike

South Florida
One product that works good for me is Eco earth. Partly because it has no bugs and I can use it in inside enclosures. I'm sure you've seen this at petco. But really. Boxies like to dig down in dirt. I have a friend who used to microwave dirt to sterilize it before bringing in house. Never tried that myself.
Nice looking baby. Hope you have fun with him / her.