Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Anecdotal third eyelid story:

Several years ago I took in a male gulf coast box turtle with swollen nictitating membranes. The owner didn't want to take it to a vet. While here with me, it would swell up any time I messed with him or his yard, but subsided when I left him alone. I was fairly new on the forum at that time and I asked the then Forum expert, Egyptiandan, if he cold help me with the turtle's problem, as I didn't feel I could adopt him out with this eye problem. Danny adopted the turtle and after quarantine put him in with his gulf coast girls. The swelling went down and never recurred.

We concluded this turtle simply couldn't endure any human interaction. It was stressful for him. And stress caused the third eyelid to swell.

I'm so glad your tortoise's eyes are getting better. It's too bad you couldn't figure out why it happened. Might be as simple as pollen, but who knows.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Update on Tiny's eye.
Membrane still not fully retracted. The vet feels like this will take care of itself over time no infection present. He said unless it swells up again the ointment is no longer necessary.

Still do not know for sure the cause. But crisis ( at least my feeling it was a crisis. Lol ) is over
Glad it's improving. Hope it continues to do so.
Thanks for the update.
Of course we worry!
That's in the job description.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thanks for the update.
So glad Tiny has made a full recovery.
Thanks Though I looked at everything in his environment, the only potentially causative variable I could find was creating a new underground hide box for him. To do this I dug up his surround, and rearranged it all. His eye swelled the very next day. It has been suggested that stress could possibly contribute to a swollen 3rd eyelid issue. And bold as Tiny is, it is still possible that he became stressed out at all the changes.

I went over all the possibilities I could find in my research, and there actually are many; A scratch, infection, a compromised immune system, overload of parasites, and stress.

Anyway, he's fine now, hope he stays that way :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good news that it's getting better :)

Apologies if this has been answered already: Is your tort being kept indoors and, if so, what type of bulb are you using for UVB?

Alaskamike

South Florida
Good news that it's getting better :)

Apologies if this has been answered already: Is your tort being kept indoors and, if so, what type of bulb are you using for UVB?
HI
No, he is an outdoor tort, never been under artificial lights since I've had him these last 8 mos or so.