Wescodyne,- Reptile De-Wormer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Years ago I bought water moccasin's and western diamondback rattlesnakes by the pound for venom extraction.When they came in they were put in large cans with a solution of wescodyne and water to de-worm them, (you would not believe what can come out of a snake).It worked fast and never lost a snake using this process to de-worm.Anyway what got me thinking about this is the 3 legged RES that I have,the low weight could be caused by internal parasites,and not just unable to catch food.Has anyone ever heard of this method before being used on a water turtle or any reptile before.I know it's old school but sometimes old is better. Len--------Oh the WM were 50 cents a pound and Westerns were $1.25 a pound

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Len:

I always thought that Westcodyne was used to disinfect, never heard of it being used to de-worm. Interesting.

You can just buy some Panacur horse de-worming paste and administer that to your turtle. Its a known turtle de-wormer.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
emysemys said:
Hi Len:

I always thought the Westcodyne was used to disinfect, never heard of it being used to de-worm. Interesting.

You can just buy some Panacur horse de-worming paste and administer that to your turtle. Its a known turtle de-wormer.
I',m not going to de-worm yet, it was just a thought that parasites could be the reason for low weight.A doctor at NIH suggested the wescodyne treatment, this took place in 1969-70 when very few people knew anything about captive reptile care.I haven't used it since, pretty much forgot about it until yesterday.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
??Len?? said:
emysemys said:
Hi Len:

I always thought the Westcodyne was used to disinfect, never heard of it being used to de-worm. Interesting.

I',m not going to de-worm yet, it was just a thought that parasites could be the reason for low weight.A doctor at NIH suggested the wescodyne treatment, this took place in 1969-70 when very few people knew anything about captive reptile care.I haven't used it since, pretty much forgot about it until yesterday.

Asked my favorite vet about it yesterday...he thought it'd work fine, that he's read about it being used for quite a few aquatic reptiles with excellent results.

Status
Not open for further replies.