Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
This is Ruby, my 15 year old horse-field’s tortoise. She is in good health other than the problem described below.
Ruby had a white ring around her shell about a few months ago, and I went to tortoise forums for help. All and each response I got was that this was normal, and would go away at some point as she got older. Well, as you might imagine, at this point it hasn’t. The de-colorization has me seriously concerned for her health and am on the brink of going to the closest professional reptile expert, about an hour away. I love her so much and want to see her in her prime, and so I think this is the right place to go.
Tortoise Specs:
Ruby, female, 15 yrs
Diet is radicchio, lettuce, and endive, twice a week.
She is bathed around 3 times a week, and always has access to clean water should she desire to take her own bath.

Attachments

• 4F235260-011B-430A-8E23-BD26665F1D9F.jpeg
    4F235260-011B-430A-8E23-BD26665F1D9F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 115
  • 4EB0BBEB-1F28-4AAB-8944-616128784228.jpeg
    4EB0BBEB-1F28-4AAB-8944-616128784228.jpeg
    865.4 KB · Views: 110

CharlieS2020

Ontario
Hi ruby looks in great health. i think i once read that when i tortoise loses there color on there shell it is because of water stains. i dont think its is worth worrying about. but i am not a tortoise expert. Charlie

CharlieS2020

Ontario
my hermann tortoise is also getting some los of color on the shell and she is fine so i dont think you should worry. Charlie

Oregon
my hermann tortoise is also getting some los of color on the shell and she is fine so I don't think you should worry. Charlie
Hello, and thanks for seeing this.
I believe I am doing something wrong as I have never seen a tortoise will this much de-colorization before, and what really concerns me is that it is getting worse. I don't want her to be in pain or bad health, but if my concerns are irrelevant please let me know.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
hi like i said i am not a tortoise expert. but my little one year old Herman tortoise is getting some of the same things. just wondering how much do you soak ruby.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is Ruby, my 15 year old horse-field’s tortoise. She is in good health other than the problem described below.
Ruby had a white ring around her shell about a few months ago, and I went to tortoise forums for help. All and each response I got was that this was normal, and would go away at some point as she got older. Well, as you might imagine, at this point it hasn’t. The de-colorization has me seriously concerned for her health and am on the brink of going to the closest professional reptile expert, about an hour away. I love her so much and want to see her in her prime, and so I think this is the right place to go.
Tortoise Specs:
Ruby, female, 15 yrs
Diet is radicchio, lettuce, and endive, twice a week.
She is bathed around 3 times a week, and always has access to clean water should she desire to take her own bath.
The whiteish ring is new growth. Your tortoise lives indoors in a safe controlled environment and the new growth as not yet been tanned, weathered, or soiled by the rigors of living outdoors full time. In summer when you can get the tortoise outside more often, it will darken up and begin to match the rest.

Your hydration routine sounds EXCELLENT, but your diet is inadequate to meet your tortoises nutritional needs. If you must use grocery store greens you need tube adding multiple amendments to add fiber, variety, and nutrition to it.

There is a whole diet section in this care sheet. You can skip to it if you don't want to read the whole thing: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Be careful of any "professional reptile expert". You are likely to get old out-dated incorrect advice. There is no better tortoise advice anywhere on the planet than in the pages of this forum. There are so many keepers here with decades of tortoise experience all collaborating, learning, and sharing new info with each other. We are the forefront of tortoise knowledge.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
i would recommend going to a vet if your re concerned about it. but how long has it been goign on.

Oregon
The whiteish ring is new growth. Your tortoise lives indoors in a safe controlled environment and the new growth as not yet been tanned, weathered, or soiled by the rigors of living outdoors full time. In summer when you can get the tortoise outside more often, it will darken up and begin to match the rest.

Your hydration routine sounds EXCELLENT, but your diet is inadequate to meet your tortoises nutritional needs. If you must use grocery store greens you need tube adding multiple amendments to add fiber, variety, and nutrition to it.

There is a whole diet section in this care sheet. You can skip to it if you don't want to read the whole thing: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Be careful of any "professional reptile expert". You are likely to get old out-dated incorrect advice. There is no better tortoise advice anywhere on the planet than in the pages of this forum. There are so many keepers here with decades of tortoise experience all collaborating, learning, and sharing new info with each other. We are the forefront of tortoise knowledge.
Thank you, I appreciate the fast response. I do not know if perhaps there is a light setting (in addition to better nutrition that would also help her? I have the UV lights and heatlamp. Heck, I even have 3 UV lights.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
also i would love if you guys could cheak out my account because no one has responded to my questions and i would love a anser. Charlie

CharlieS2020

Ontario
It started when she was about 5 or so, slower was getting worse, mostly during the winter, which has me thinking it is something related to that.
i dont know much i ust go a tortoise 9 monthes ago and please ckeack out my acount becuse i ahve asked questions and noones anserd. it may be ruby is not getting enogh heat but lsien to more people and get ther opinion. Charlie

Oregon
i dont know much i ust go a tortoise 9 monthes ago and please ckeack out my acount becuse i ahve asked questions and noones anserd. it may be ruby is not getting enogh heat but lsien to more people and get ther opinion. Charlie
I do not believe it is a heating issue, as this would generally have different symptoms, such as a cold, excessive sleeping, and even possibly non-winter hibernation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It started when she was about 5 or so, slower was getting worse, mostly during the winter, which has me thinking it is something related to that.
You aren't understanding. This isn't "getting worse". This is normal growth. There is nothing wrong. Your tortoise lives a clean, mild, pampered, indoor life and the new growth isn't stained, dirty and weathered yet. This is GOOD! Your baby isn't suffering the rigors and hardships of the wild. Your baby is enjoying optimal controlled conditions.

Be careful with three UV sources. This can damage their eyes and the soft new growth as well. One UV source for 2-3 hours mid day is more than enough to meet their UV needs.

Give that care sheet a read though. Don't kill your tortoise with kindness.

Oregon
You aren't understanding. This isn't "getting worse". This is normal growth. There is nothing wrong. Your tortoise lives a clean, mild, pampered, indoor life and the new growth isn't stained, dirty and weathered yet. This is GOOD! Your baby isn't suffering the rigors and hardships of the wild. Your baby is enjoying optimal controlled conditions.

Be careful with three UV sources. This can damage their eyes and the soft new growth as well. One UV source for 2-3 hours mid day is more than enough to meet their UV needs.

Give that care sheet a read though. Don't kill your tortoise with kindness.
Thank you, I will reduce her UV noticeably down to only a few hour every day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are using 2 13watt UV bulbs, and we do not have a heat measurer nor UV meter.
Coil bulbs? The cfl style that you screw in? Those are not effective UV sources and some of them burn tortoise eyes. They should not be sold or used.

It sounds like you found the usual old incorrect care advice on some of these things. Most of the care info for tortoise out in the world is just plain wrong. The current and correct care info is all explained in that care sheet if you want it. Questions are welcome too. Happy to talk about tortoises all day long.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope you've read and taken in Tom's words, but just in case: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TORTOISE'S SHELL. IT'S NOT DECOLORIZATION. ALL NEW GROWTH ON EVERY RUSSIAN TORTOISE IN THE WORLD STARTS OUT CREAM-COLORED. YOU ARE SEEING NEW GROWTH! IF THE TORTOISE LIVED OUTSIDE THAT NEW GROWTH WOULD HARDEN AND DARKEN QUICKER.