Sulcata shell issue?

ImAvenue

Location (City and/or State)
Rogers
So I've had my baby for almost three years now and all was well, her shell was perfectly healthy up until she got to big for her terrarium.

At that point I got rid of the terrarium and set up a location where her heat lamp and uv lamp were set up for her to use as she pleases but I'd say a good 6 or so months after making this transition she's developed these discolored areas on the back of her shell.

Some of it looks fleshy but most of it isn't I'm not sure what the cause is.. Any help would be amazing!

Attachments

• 20210616_150529.jpg
    20210616_150529.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210616_150533.jpg
    20210616_150533.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pics of her enclosure, the temps, humidity, size of enclosure and type of heat and lighting.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'd bet that's the beginning of signs of damage from the heatlamps - can you post some pictures?

What's the temperature under the heat lamp at the tortoise's level?

As my sulcata started to get larger and I was still using a CHE as the primary heat source, I started to notice some damage. I posted a similar thread here: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hello-and-a-question-about-scute-appearance.163009/

Based on Tom's advice I switched to using a radiant heat panel for overhead heating, combined with a Kane mat. New growth has been much better ever since.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you're seeing is the result of having the light too close to the top of the shell. The new growth is being burned.