Wha thermometer to use

Emy104

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Ok so I am planning on getting a tort of my own very soon and I have all the info I need except for what to use to check temperature and humidity and I have seen sensor push but I need a more affordable option so please help

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I used ones like these before I converted everything to sensorpush:

Digital thermometers.jpg

They work fine, but I found I really benefited from seeing more than simply the temperature when I checked and the high/low. So I converted to sensorpush. It is amazing what you see when you get a graph showing the actual temp and humidity your enclosure has experienced over the whole period. For example a power outage or a bulb going out - you can look and see when it actually happened and what it did to the temps during that period. So I do believe the sensorpush are worth it in the long run.

Emy104

USA
I used ones like these before I converted everything to sensorpush:

View attachment 261448

They work fine, but I found I really benefited from seeing more than simply the temperature when I checked and the high/low. So I converted to sensorpush. It is amazing what you see when you get a graph showing the actual temp and humidity your enclosure has experienced over the whole period. For example a power outage or a bulb going out - you can look and see when it actually happened and what it did to the temps during that period. So I do believe the sensorpush are worth it in the long run.
Would I need multiple or would one just be fine for my enclosure

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Really only need one of these for an enclosure. I have one in the middle zone of my enclosure to give me an ambient for the enclosure, unaffected by the basking spot. I have the thermostat probe in the coolest part of the enclosure to ensure a minimum never below 80° and that also gives me a readout there. I use an infrared thermometer gun to check basking temps periodically.