What am I doing wrong?!

HelloWorld

I have a 40-gallon breeder tank that I set up almost a week ago. I'm trying to get everything ready for when my hatchling arrives, (Tuesday) but I'm having some serious problems getting the tank hot enough.

Details: 40-gallon breeder tank, home-made screen lid covered with aluminum foil
Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube light / 60watt ceramic heat emitter for basking side
Cypress mulch and sheet moss for substrate
Humidity has been fluctuating between 60-85% pretty consistently

I have the temperature and humidity gauge about an inch above the substrate on the basking side. The first CHE I purchased was a 75watt, and it ended up being a dud. (I was going out of my mind for DAYS trying to figure out why the temp in the tank wasn't rising above room temp.) I purchased a new one today, which is working as it should, but after two hours of sitting on the hood the temp is only at 75 degrees. Is the wattage not strong enough? Everything I've read said that a 60-75watt CHE should be plenty to get my tank up to 85. I've been told that a 100watt could potentially bring my tank up to 105+degrees, and obviously that's just too hot.

Do I just have to wait? To be honest, this is my first forest tortoise, and my first tropical reptile in general. All of this humidity+heat stuff is pretty new to me, and I never used to have a problem keeping a tank 80-95degrees with a simple basking bulb.

I have pictures of my set-up if anyone thinks it would help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've only ever used a 100 watt, but seems to me your 60 ought to work. try an experiment. Take the CHE out of the socket and replace it with a regular incandescent light bulb and see if the bulb heats up the covered space any better. If it does, then you'll know you need a bigger CHE.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank, too. I use a 100watt CHE plugged into a thermostat. This way I know my temps can't get too hot and the CHE will turn on as needed to keep things warm enough.

60watts isn't very much.. Try Yvonne's experiment or just go for the higher wattage and put it on a thermostat.

HelloWorld

Both great ideas, thank you guys so much! I decided to try and put the temp gauge down in the substrate for a more accurate reading, and after an hour or so it now says that the temp under the basking area is at 86. It's better if it's hotter though, isn't it? I like the thermostat idea, honestly I didn't know something like that existed. I'll probably pick one up next chance I get. Is there one you would recommend?