What ambient temps are too high?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I know there are threads about "how hot is too hot" but for a Russian half buried in his shade hide, he is still reading a temp (with a temp gun) of around 94-96 degrees on his shell/legs, is that too high? Even with burrowing I'm concerned he's cooking...

and if that is not too high, what temp do I need to start worrying?

Erin

Attachments

• IMG_7251.jpg
    IMG_7251.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7250.jpg
    IMG_7250.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They come from scorching areas of Afghanistan and other harsh climates. You have no worries in your area. If you lived in Palm Springs or Phoenix AZ, I'd just tell you to dig a hole and make a burrow to escape the mid day heat.

Its also normal for the shell to get hot when basking in the sun. Rocks do the same thing. The surface gets hot. As long as he has an area in the shade that stays under 100, you will not have any problems.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Can you set up a sprinkler system that activates every few hours? Provide extra deep shade & dig a deeper burrow.
Not easily.... unfortunately

I am thinking about getting a second sun shade overlay though... but even so I don't think that will help if the ambient temps are higher. he can dig down but its pretty tough clay soil

EricW

Houston, TX
One of my female Hermann's out and about late afternoon when it was 101. I didn't have my temp gun to measure the area though. I dropped her a hibiscus flower. Second pic is about 2 minutes later. She walked about 4' to the water dish, got a drink, and went back to tromping around.

On of my concerns with the heat is we aren't cooling down much at night. For weeks, it didn't get below 83 or 84 at night. Past few nights mid to low 70's, but that is about to end. Human wise, waking up to 90 degree heat index at 5:30am sucks.

Attachments

• 20230726_172930.jpg
    20230726_172930.jpg
    905.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230726_174104.jpg
    20230726_174104.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I realized I can add ice packs to the insulated dog house, should do the trick for the few hours a day it’s an issue…
We use ice bottles for that. Big Gatorade bottles or 1 liter bottles.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
We use ice bottles for that. Big Gatorade bottles or 1 liter bottles.
I have a zillion of those frozen bags that are used for food deliveries. They last pretty well and it’s a small space so I actually think one of those or two would keep it pretty cool enough for much of the afternoon. I’ll also put some ice tomorrow in his little plastic hide that is buried under wood chips (the one in the pic). That’s should help too…