What are they doing here??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Please visit breeder, expert, rescuer Kennan (Kenan?) Harkin's YouTube channel and website. He is also an educator. Has 2 channels. Kennan Army and Kamp Kennan. He has a huge Florida estate with various reptiles. He let's certain adult torts be together in large habitats during the day, locks them up in specific house's at night. People that comment are very knowledgeable too. A tort vet would also know. Opinions change over time. I'm not up to date on this, but fellow poster's seem passionate about the situation. Separation during breeding time is wise. Not all torts are aggressive. It's quite individual for captive torts. Some enjoy company, other's are gators. I wish you success. Please keep us updated.☺
Kenan is not a good source of care info. He doesn't do the right things with tortoises and he does not have the experience that some others have. He has an entertaining YouTube channel and lots of animals, but this is not the guy to be recommending for advice.

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
Can I see your tort and its enclosure?
This is the enclosure I got him in. I am about to get him the zoo med tortoise one so it’s larger. Until then we soak him 3 times a week he loves it. He eats a ton. I hope he’s not full grown yet. Also how do I tell if he was captive or wild? I got him from a day care that couldn’t care for him anymore.

Attachments

• 49D80C7A-FDE1-46B6-9AE6-E3652493BA1E.jpeg
    49D80C7A-FDE1-46B6-9AE6-E3652493BA1E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • AAE6F3FC-A45E-4555-91AA-9685F050A409.jpeg
    AAE6F3FC-A45E-4555-91AA-9685F050A409.jpeg
    967.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 2918D3EE-4912-413C-9F5D-BF47505292DD.jpeg
    2918D3EE-4912-413C-9F5D-BF47505292DD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
This is the enclosure I got him in. I am about to get him the zoo med tortoise one so it’s larger. Until then we soak him 3 times a week he loves it. He eats a ton. I hope he’s not full grown yet. Also how do I tell if he was captive or wild? I got him from a day care that couldn’t care for him anymore.
We have had him a while now and he seems pretty happy. That is his night time light I have a day time uvb as well.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

Ok he is adorable. Sorry to say but his setup is all wrong. Please remove the sand. It can lead to impaction when he is eating and cannot digest it. The red light is disrupting his sleep pattern, get him a ceramic heat emitter. Lastly, his home is way too small. At minimum, he needs an 8x4 or 6x2 tort table. Do not get the zoomed house. It molds when soiled, and is just too small. Also, torts do not know the concept of glass. He is going to stress himself out or injure himself rubbing against the class.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Please take a look at these links and come back with questions.
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Like said before, the sand needs to be removed immediately, and the red light needs to go. Your tort needs a basking spot of 100 degrees, and a night temp drop to 65-70.

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
Please take a look at these links and come back with questions.
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Like said before, the sand needs to be removed immediately, and the red light needs to go. Your tort needs a basking spot of 100 degrees, and a night temp drop to 65-70.
Sounds good on the red light. The pet store said it was for torts and should be their sleeping light. That is not sand it is coconut coir. When I bought him they had him in sand and I removed it and started using the coir and he seems to like it fine and was a suggestion from a member on here actually.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
The red light disrupts their sleep pattern and can hurt their vision.

Tort dude

United States
Kenan is not a good source of care info. He doesn't do the right things with tortoises and he does not have the experience that some others have. He has an entertaining YouTube channel and lots of animals, but this is not the guy to be recommending for advice.
I DISAGREE STRONGLY, KENAN IS AWESOME AND HAS A TON OF EXPERIENCE. 17 YEARS IN FACT. LISTEN TO WHAT HE HAS TO SAY

Tort dude

United States
THE ZOO MED TORT HOUSE IS AWESOME TOTALLY GET IT

Bambam1989

East Texas
I DISAGREE STRONGLY, KENAN IS AWESOME AND HAS A TON OF EXPERIENCE. 17 YEARS IN FACT. LISTEN TO WHAT HE HAS TO SAY
You do realize that there are several members here on the forum that have ALOT more experience than that.
To me some of the Kenan videos are helpful, unfortunately many of them do not give good information. I also feel that he is becoming more interested in selling than anything as his popularity grows.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please tell the reading audience how old you are and what your level of tortoise experience is. This way, anyone reading can decide for themselves who they want to listen to.

To be fair I will do it too:
I was born in '72 and I've been keeping chelonians since 1979. Professionally since 1986.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
THE ZOO MED TORT HOUSE IS AWESOME TOTALLY GET IT
What is this based on?

The Zoomed house is way too small for an adult, and way to open for a baby. The hiding area is much too large and open, and its wasted space. The wood cannot stand up to the needed moisture, and they leak.

What is it that you think is good about these enclosures?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Tort dude, I think you should do more research before you try to “help” people. You joined a month and a half ago, and in that time, you have learned nothing and continue to spread lies and misinformation. I have tried to help you, in private message and public, but you will not take anyone’s advice.
Tortoise forum is a place for people to learn and let Their tortoises thrive, not for people who wish to make them suffer. We welcome you to help us when you have gained even a grain of maturity, and have further researched the tortoises that you are trying to help here on the TFO. For now, I would recommend you to learn.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

Why is he not? He has an amazing sanctuary and treats his animals as they should be. What is wrong with his info?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Tort dude, I think you should do more research before you try to “help” people. You joined a month and a half ago, and in that time, you have learned nothing and continue to spread lies and misinformation. I have tried to help you, in private message and public, but you will not take anyone’s advice.
Tortoise forum is a place for people to learn and let Their tortoises thrive, not for people who wish to make them suffer. We welcome you to help us when you have gained even a grain of maturity, and have further researched the tortoises that you are trying to help here on the TFO. For now, I would recommend you to learn.

He is just a young kid. Eager is all.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

I like your energy but dial it down. Folks in here have torts double your age. Listen to the elders. That is how you gain wisdom. That tort house is a big no. I had it for my first redfoot. Its rots and as Tom said, no good for babies and too small for adults. You have a pair of rts. They need space to roam. Take the caps off as well.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Why is he not? He has an amazing sanctuary and treats his animals as they should be. What is wrong with his info?

While kenan is a great guy who really cares for his tortoises, he spreads a lot of false info. For example:
In the first 5 minutes of the video, he states that sulcatas are a dry species of tortoise, and can be kept in an open cement mixing tub. This is just one of the many examples.
And yes, he has a very amazing sanctuary, lol

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I can see how it looks like an error. I think he meant it like that cause he is down in Fl. I get what you are saying lolol. Love his yard and those ponds.