what do I do for housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletaker101

5 Year Member
can I pick it up?

Are russian tortoises okay with being handled often? because I love animals and want to know if they don't like it or if they like or don't care. I need help, so please comment with tips. thanks!:D

turtletaker101

5 Year Member
what do I use for a russian tort?

can somebody tell me some good products for russian torts? because I am looking to get one but need to know what to get for the little guy.

turtletaker101

5 Year Member
looking to get a russian tortoise. need housing tips. do I buy or build? how big? please help! I need tips on indoor housing for the little guy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi turtletaker101:

Did you ever decide what you would like for us to call you?

Someone will be along in a moment to answer your questions.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Hi turtletaker,
Russians need a lot of room, so for indoor housing you can use a 55 gallon rubbermade or any plastic bin that is about 4 feet long. You will also need a UVB lamp and a heat lamp ( or a combo bulb), setting up the right temperatures and UVB are very important! Then you will need some type of substrate material for the bottom, they're are many available.

I also need to mention that indoor housing should be a temporary setup, it really is important to get these guys outdoors when it is warm. It will keep them healthy and happy!

I don't think they like to be handled much. I have a hard time leaving mine alone :) but, they are wild animals and probably happiest when you just let them be.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Hi!
In my opinion Russians do not like being handled and are happier if not picked up often. I keep mine in an enclosure built by placing a 6ft bookcase on what would be its back and placing a pond liner along the bottom and sides. I use cypress mulch bedding sold by zoomed as forest floor. You can get cypress at a hardware store in the gardening section but you need to make sure there's no chemicals added as fertilizer or pesticides. Cypress is pretty good at holding humidity too. Coconut coir, orchid bark, soil and sand mixtures are also used.

You can use a mercury vapor bulb (powersun by zoomed recommended) which provides heat, light, and uvb.

During the late spring, summer, and early fall I keep mine in an outdoor enclosure.

I feed on a piece of slate, supplement with TNT a powder sold by carolinapetsupply and have a plant pit saucer for drinking and soaking water.

Some people place a cuttlebone in the enclosure for their tortoise to nibble on as an extra source of calcium.

CheerAngel8

5 Year Member
Orange County, Ca
Hi TurtleTaker101!
Well where do you live? The enclosure depends on the location. Some tortoises like interaction, find out if yours does. Just do't coddle it!!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.