What do you think about my enclosure ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, id suggest sinking the water tray down into the substrate so your tort ean crawl down into it. I see a few screws popping out into the inside of the enclosure. You should probably remove those so your tort doesnt get hurt accidentally.

Not sure of the proper care for this species, so can't comment on humidity, lighting, heating, etc. welcome and good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Maro2Bear. You need to get a clay plant saucer like this:

804662_R_Z001

and recess it down into the substrate so the tortoise doesn't have to climb to get in. Then, once he's in, the sloping sides aid in his getting out safely.

Otherwise the enclosure looks ok. It's a nice size for the size of the tortoise. Do you moisten the substrate? What kind of light is that? The wheezing sounds from your other thread might be because it's not warm enough. Can you make some sort of framework over the habitat so you can cover it to keep the warm, moist air inside?

latiat1234

I agree with Maro2Bear. You need to get a clay plant saucer like this:

804662_R_Z001

and recess it down into the substrate so the tortoise doesn't have to climb to get in. Then, once he's in, the sloping sides aid in his getting out safely.

Otherwise the enclosure looks ok. It's a nice size for the size of the tortoise. Do you moisten the substrate? What kind of light is that? The wheezing sounds from your other thread might be because it's not warm enough. Can you make some sort of framework over the habitat so you can cover it to keep the warm, moist air inside?

I moisten the substrate about 3 to 4 times a week (They evaporate so quickly !). The light that she's having is a uvb bulb (No heating lights yet). I do have some thoughts about raising temperature, maybe a combination of a heating bulb for heat and a plastic wrap to trap the moist air in. I should wrap one side of the enclosure, keep it far enough from the heating bulb so the wrap shouldn't melt, but still receive some heat and moisture.

So now she have on side of the enclosure that is moist and warm, another side that is quite cool.

latiat1234

Greetings, id suggest sinking the water tray down into the substrate so your tort ean crawl down into it. I see a few screws popping out into the inside of the enclosure. You should probably remove those so your tort doesnt get hurt accidentally.

Not sure of the proper care for this species, so can't comment on humidity, lighting, heating, etc. welcome and good luck!

I can't remove the screws from the wood, the only option now is to cover them with bricks and dirt (Which i just did). The substrate is temporary, so I should change it net week.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Do you know the actual temperatures in the enclosure? In your previous post you made it sound like it was all quite warm - what is "quite cool" in degrees?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wheezing MIGHT be attributed to the fact you have no heating lights.