What I am struggling with is Lighting

Hello It's Angela again and her Tort of a thousand names "Little Foot" the Afghan. Lighting is a subject that I realize I do not like. I have almost figured out the whole "full spectrum" UV thing but there are a couple things I'm unsure of. I know that UVA bulbs are not necessarily UVB bulbs, however are all UVB bulbs UVA bulbs? Are LED lights full spectrum? If so What is the best lighting source, T-5 Florescent or LED and how many watts? I know he needs a hot side for basking so it's good to put both of the lights if you have two separate UVA and UVB. Also if anyone read my first post we initially had the glass aquarium the evil pet store man told my best friend to get . So I am getting a larger guinea pig/rabbit cage 47"L x 22" W x 37"H for inside the home until it's warmer out and for the evenings(I'm from Michigan). This is until I can build a proper one out of wood for him--- I will include a pic of the cage. Do you think it's safe to put my lights on top of this or should I build a wood frame with screen mesh to go on top just to be safe. I'm also not sure about the paint, fumes etc. Does anyone know an easy way for me to remove the paint on the top? Regular old paint thinner maybe? AHHH one last question I swear it lol.. The top cage will be pretty high above him if you look at the pic. Should I look for lights with mounting systems so I can get the lights closer to him? I am a beginner photographer as well so I do have light stands I can use for bulb type lights but not for the bars with the long bulbs. They do make LED's long bulbs on stands for photography usually at 5600k but they are mega bucks.

Attachments

• Cage.png
    Cage.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 15

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your making things too hard. I'm not sure what type of tortoise you are talking about. Most of them in michigan usually are russians, is this what you have? Your avatar is a little blurry for me, but it looks like a russian. I like Mercury vapor bulbs. They are a little expensive, but give you heat, light and uvb. Then add a CHE, ceramic heat emitter for some night time heat, they don't give off light and he should be set for the winter months. The MVB will be your basking bulb. In the summer, mine goes outside on warmer days, 70 plus, russians can handle it cooler then most and I will bring him inside while his basking spot is still on to warm up if it's one of those colder days. Otherwise, if it's a nice hot day, he really doesn't need it. I'm from Michigan, now in Chicago, so I know your winters. He won't need night heat in the summer months.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
With that cage I would just put a mercury vapor bulb in a large ceramic fixture, you can get it at Home Depot or a farm supply store in the chicken section, at one and of the enclosure. How far above your tortoises shell with the light be? That should be all he will need until you can build a tortoise table. The easiest way to build a tortoise table is to buy a large bookshelf and lay it on its back and take the shelves out. Line it with a shower curtain and put the substrate in. Then you can use a light stand that you can get at the pet store or you can build one to hang over the enclosure. Mercury vapor bulbs are the easiest lights in my opinion, power son is a good brand. Your Russian will not need night heat unless it gets cold in your house. Anything above 60 should be fine for nighttime. Don't bother with LED lights. I don't know anything about UVA but I know that mercury vapor bulbs have UVB and that's what you need.
For a temporary outdoor enclosure you can use a kiddie pool, one of the big huge plastic ones. Fill it full of substrate and put a hide in there and also some plants or something for shade.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!
What about posting pictures of your tortoise?