new to tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

tequillakma

5 Year Member
Hi guys/gals

I'm trying to do some research on keeping leopard tortoises and I have to say that it's really confusing. Can someone please tell me what UVA lights (I believe they are also referred to as blue day light bulbs, but I could be wrong) are for?
I always thought that tortoises should have UVB light for bone health etc.
Do UVB lights also work as warming lights?
I'd appreciate if anyone could shed some light (hahaha) on this.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tequillakma:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I'm not a light expert, and I think there is a bit of a need for UVA, but basically your tortoise needs UVB. I prefer to use the Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) because it provides heat plus the UVB required.

In my opinion, tortoises belong outside. That way they get natural sunlight. But I realize there are times and situations where an indoor habitat is necessary. In that case, for me, its MVB.

tequillakma

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi tequillakma:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I'm not a light expert, and I think there is a bit of a need for UVA, but basically your tortoise needs UVB. I prefer to use the Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) because it provides heat plus the UVB required.

In my opinion, tortoises belong outside. That way they get natural sunlight. But I realize there are times and situations where an indoor habitat is necessary. In that case, for me, its MVB.

Thanks Yvonne! I appreciate the info.
My name is Karin and I'm from Louisiana. I've been browsing a little on this forum and I see there is a lot of information. I wonder why so many different website have so much different information. It's really difficult to get good information on tortoises. So much conflicting info.

Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Tortoises need a relatively wide spectrum of light including UVA And UVB, in the right wavelengths and intensities. Yvonne is 100% right that nothing even comes close to natural, free sunshine. She's also right that the best indoor alternative is a mercury vapor bulb. I have found the florescents to be inadequate despite the claims of the makers and sellers. And the coil type compact flourescent UV bulbs can actually damage their eyes.

The MVBs give you heat, light AND the right types of UV all in one convenient package.

Times have really changed and tortoise care has advanced tremendously in just the last few years. There is a lot of new info out there and much of it is in direct conflict with the old, outdated, wrong info. Just ask whoever is giving you advice to show you pics of healthy, smooth leopard tortoises, that they have raised using the methods they recommend. I wrote this for sulcatas, but I house my leopards exactly the same way.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1THC3sNxg

I hope it helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.